Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

halos2

Question

For quite a few years have been hypertensive, and always told them it was similar to "white coat anxiety." This has not and is not totally true. I have been in denial. Have been treated for periods of times at VA and also via private physician, per medication administration. Seems the last B/P med was a beta-blocker and did not agree with me concerning S/E's. My hair was becoming increasingly thin. So anyway I have had excruitiating headaches/neck aches/jaw pain/my head hurt so bad I was in a fetal position holding it tightly...nausea, visual disturbances, etc. so

I went to the VA to my PCP, and didn't want to do the urgent care route. Told her nurse my symptoms, and she took my B/P 188/110 and she said maybe cause you just walked in here...so 5 minutes later the reading is 192/116 my pulse was racing 115, and I told her I needed the diuretic I had one time before there that was effective. Of coarse I had to go to lab for blood work. Then wait for 2 hours for my medication.

This all occurred in the last approximate 38 hours, I told them my readings which did have elevations, but thought my store bought B/P machine might be ineffective as it is 5-6 yrs old. They gave me a new one. So far my readings have lowered with the best one thus far at 130/86 but my pulse was maintaining in the 100's. Today.

I kept trying to do relaxation techniques but at least some of the head pain and some of the neck pain have lessened. I can see ok now. I really demonstrated pre stroke s/s so thats why I managed to get someone to drive me there without an appointment. Pluse my tinnitus is SO LOUDLY PULSATING!

I was always hypotensive for years and years in fact NEVER even had a reading of 110/70,more like 100 usually in the 90's or less over 60 or less, ever since I put in for my PTSD and other disabilities my B/P has been creaping up. The common factor is my claims inservice diagnoses and submissions.

Weight has been about the same but activity level is very much decreased.

So I searched this site trying to find the advent of claims like HTN secondary to PTSD and have not been lucky.

No matter what clinic, physician, nurse the common result was HTN. It was on my records too. Post service since my VA nightmares with them!

So I think I am going to put in a claim for HTN secondary to PTSD. What does anyone else think about this, and has anyone else been successful with such an awardance for this relationship?

Thanks to all my friends here too.

Edited by halos2

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi halos2,

I put in for a secondary connection for hypertension due to my service connected back condition. Basically once I started being in pain my blood pressure went up. They denied me twice and then finally awarded it to me. I basically just had a nexus statement in my records. An outside doc said my hypertension was probably tied to the stress of being in pain all the time. That setup a secondary for a mental condition to my back also. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

USMC 1st Battalion 1st Marines 1st Marine Division 91-95

100% P&T

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

George Washington

Thank you dav_marine. I too have a back condition but that is at the BVA level. After reading your reply I bet the stress of both conditions are probably related to the elevated B/P.

I was granted PTSD/next they declared me deceased/proved I was alive/they proposed to sever/requested and had personal hearing/told me i claim was timely and one not/proved both were on same paper with request for DRO DeNovo and pers. hearing/they denied one and increased the other!

Talk about stress, who wouln't be???? How many years did it take you?

Hi halos2,

I put in for a secondary connection for hypertension due to my service connected back condition. Basically once I started being in pain my blood pressure went up. They denied me twice and then finally awarded it to me. I basically just had a nexus statement in my records. An outside doc said my hypertension was probably tied to the stress of being in pain all the time. That setup a secondary for a mental condition to my back also. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

For quite a few years have been hypertensive, and always told them it was similar to "white coat anxiety." This has not and is not totally true. I have been in denial. Have been treated for periods of times at VA and also via private physician, per medication administration. Seems the last B/P med was a beta-blocker and did not agree with me concerning S/E's. My hair was becoming increasingly thin. So anyway I have had excruitiating headaches/neck aches/jaw pain/my head hurt so bad I was in a fetal position holding it tightly...nausea, visual disturbances, etc. so

I went to the VA to my PCP, and didn't want to do the urgent care route. Told her nurse my symptoms, and she took my B/P 188/110 and she said maybe cause you just walked in here...so 5 minutes later the reading is 192/116 my pulse was racing 115, and I told her I needed the diuretic I had one time before there that was effective. Of coarse I had to go to lab for blood work. Then wait for 2 hours for my medication.

This all occurred in the last approximate 38 hours, I told them my readings which did have elevations, but thought my store bought B/P machine might be ineffective as it is 5-6 yrs old. They gave me a new one. So far my readings have lowered with the best one thus far at 130/86 but my pulse was maintaining in the 100's. Today.

I kept trying to do relaxation techniques but at least some of the head pain and some of the neck pain have lessened. I can see ok now. I really demonstrated pre stroke s/s so thats why I managed to get someone to drive me there without an appointment. Pluse my tinnitus is SO LOUDLY PULSATING!

I was always hypotensive for years and years in fact NEVER even had a reading of 110/70,more like 100 usually in the 90's or less over 60 or less, ever since I put in for my PTSD and other disabilities my B/P has been creaping up. The common factor is my claims inservice diagnoses and submissions.

Weight has been about the same but activity level is very much decreased.

So I searched this site trying to find the advent of claims like HTN secondary to PTSD and have not been lucky.

No matter what clinic, physician, nurse the common result was HTN. It was on my records too. Post service since my VA nightmares with them!

So I think I am going to put in a claim for HTN secondary to PTSD. What does anyone else think about this, and has anyone else been successful with such an awardance for this relationship?

Thanks to all my friends here too.

I have read some who have tried without success to connect HTN secondary to PTSD. I have both and feel their is a definate connection but, doubt they will believe the obvious. I have read at least 1 post that got the connection for HTN secondary to pain and I think you touched on pain. I am an RN with a background in ER/Trauma and nearly 20 years experience and say that it has been definatively proven that pain can cause HTN and even the elevated heart rate you spoke of. With that said I think you will have more success filing HTN secondary to pain but, I might try both. Secondary to pain and PTSD.

Good luck,

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• HadIt.com Elder
I have read some who have tried without success to connect HTN secondary to PTSD. I have both and feel their is a definate connection but, doubt they will believe the obvious. I have read at least 1 post that got the connection for HTN secondary to pain and I think you touched on pain. I am an RN with a background in ER/Trauma and nearly 20 years experience and say that it has been definatively proven that pain can cause HTN and even the elevated heart rate you spoke of. With that said I think you will have more success filing HTN secondary to pain but, I might try both. Secondary to pain and PTSD.

Good luck,

Bergie

My claim for hypertension secondary to PTSD was awarded by the BVA in April 2009 http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files2/0912815.txt

you need a cardiologist to make a nexus statement explaining how your hypertension is linked to your PTSD you need your own connect the dot letter you can not use generic studies but if you read my BVA decision you will notice the judge was impressed with Dr Boscarino's study that was published in the Federal register showing the link between PTSD and cardiac and hypertension problems to veterans with PTSD.....

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

It can be done and if I were you I would look into Tachycardia also. heart diesase is a biggie that is connectable to Hypertension along with vascular issues.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder
It can be done and if I were you I would look into Tachycardia also. heart diesase is a biggie that is connectable to Hypertension along with vascular issues.

J

he should also get a echo on his heart and see if there are any blockages and see if he can show CAD if you are a Nam vet ischemic heart disease is now a presumptive condition for AO exposure and hypertension is part of the heart disease they go hand in hand

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."