Rate this question

foleyj

Question

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Later I found out that I only had a five year window to apply for social security disability after my VA rating...

Comm Bob - I think someone gave you some bad information here.

Question: Has the five year time limit rules changed on SSDI? I have always wanted to avoid that additional ball and chain that comes with SSDI. By "qualify", do they mean that a disabled person had to have worked at least five years before applying for SSDI. Just curious. Maybe some other vet is wrestling with the decision to go for it or not.

Comm Bob,

I am not aware of the five year time limit on SSDI.

In my opinion, a worker is insured for SSDI benefits based on quarterly

earnings within a given period of time.

This maybe where the five years come into play that you have posted about.

Hopefully other's with more concise knowledge will chime in

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know about 5 year limit but 5 years would be 20 quarters and that sounds about right. I hear that the time limits vary by your age. I do know it is very important how you fill out Social Security Forms and make sure you use the last day you worked instead of current date in the forms.

• HadIt.com Elder
Comm Bob,

I am not aware of the five year time limit on SSDI.

In my opinion, a worker is insured for SSDI benefits based on quarterly

earnings within a given period of time.

This maybe where the five years come into play that you have posted about.

Hopefully other's with more concise knowledge will chime in

jmho,

carlie

I've heard, but I don't know if it's true, that in order to have enough work credits to receive Social Security a person must have received work credits in 5 of the last 10 years before application. I have also heard that the work credits drop off of Social Security's computer after a period of time lapses and that people often are denied because they delayed applying for benefits.

Edited by deltaj

• HadIt.com Elder
A good point has been brought up. The VA discriminates between Veterans with a physical disability and those with a mental disability. Max Cleland and Tami Duckworth are examples. I am pretty sure both of these are 100% disabled Veterans and working..Tami is a big shot with the VA. The are both multiple amputees. Somehow, if an amputee is able to work by overcoming their disabilities, (s)he is a hero but if a mentally disabled person is able to work by overcome his disabilities, (s)he is a fraud. This is a terrible discriminatory practice by the VA.

Since many people are "mixed", that is, have both physical and mental disabilities, are they frauds or heroes when they are able to over come and work?

I am not sure this has been tested in court.

The VA also discriminates against the hard of hearing. Hearing doctors, nurses, and C and P examiners rarely really understand what it is like to be hard of hearing in a hearing world. The rating system is extremely biased against the hard of hearing. You not only need to be wearing hearing aids, but you practically have to have a sign interpreter to be able to get a 10% hearing loss..everything else is zero percent.

All through grade school, high school and college we are taught how important communication is. Some colleges or even high schools require a foreign language, and all require several years of English. You dont pass English, and you dont get a degree is pretty much universal. Then, you go serve your country, and loose your ability to communicate, and the VA "decides" that is worth 0%. I was rated at zero percent and can not go to the movies...movies pretty much universally do not have close captions and I can not watch them as they may as well be speaking Chinese, as I simply dont understand much of what they say. Worse, when we talk to people, there is no close captioning, and frankly people not only tire of repeating themselves, but often refuse and even insult the hard of hearing by saying, "I wasnt talking to you," or "Nevermind what I said".

It is pretty insulting when you lost your hearing serving our country and people wont so much as even spend 30 seconds to repeat what they said in honor to a disabled Veterans who has lost their hearing serving our country.

The VA insists that I list my phone number..insists that I call and make an appointment. A telephone is pretty much useless to me except as a device I use to hook up to the internet..yes I can hear part of what is said, but it is an unacceptable communication device for me..I much prefer email. However, email addresses of Va employees, doctors, nurses, etc are pretty much never available to me while phone numbers are. I guess they are worried about spam, but it is not like we never get "spam" phone calls..they are just called telephone solicitors as opposed to email solicitors (spam).

Since you have a severe hearing impairment that interferes with your ability to use the telephone you may want to check out a series of articles I found beginning with HowStuffWorks "How Hearing Impaired Telephones Work."