VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help Needed Please

Rate this question

winddancer

Question

I am trying to sort through my husband's myriad of health issues and file a claim for increase in SC but there are so many issues and I have been told so many different ways to handle this that now I am totally confused. A retired VSO was helping me sort issues and saw a potential CUE but unfortunately he has passed away prior to telling me the issue. Without getting too winded on this post, a brief breakdown of the stats is: grand mal seizure of unknown origin while in service in 1977 resulting in award of 20% coming out of service by VA. Two yrs later at annual eval sc terminated w/o neurological eval. 20% disability stayed on records but no compensation until 1999 when local VSO filed new paperwork then granted 10%. Currently rated at 10% seizure, 30% PTSD, and 0% migraine headaches. He has dx of tendonitis, COPD, GERD, DJD, Anxiety disorder, CAD, Depressive disorder, and hyperlipidemia. Has had stents placed for aortic aneurysm and iliac aneurysm, has had toxic cataracts removed from both eyes, right retinal and macula repair for blown retina, surgery to repair L knee injured in service, tinnitus, decreased hearing, 2 septoplasty surgeries for chronic recurring sinusitis, is on 2 L of O2 at night for CO2 overload, and is considered to be prediabetic currently controlled by diet. He has not been able to work a day since Dec. 1999. Sorry for being so winded , there are more issues but at least you have a general idea of matter at hand. ANY help is greatly appreciated in advance because I am totally confused.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Original claim went in for seizure in 1978. In 1980 20% for comp on seizure terminated, % reduced to 0%, no comp at all until 2001 when VSO filed for seizure, PTSD, asbestosis, and headaches. My husband was taken out of work in Dec 1999 due to severe recurring GI bleeds coupled with PTSD. Trying to get compensation as rapidly as possible VSO also filed for pension. was granted "improved pension" at 80% in 2002 with breakdown as 30% hiatal hernia with gastroesophageal reflux, diverticulitis with rectal bleeding,30% dysthymia, 30% COPD, 10% hemorrhoids, 10% multiple joint arthritis and 0% hypertension but denied comp because our son's income threw household income too high. As claims were processed he was awarded 10% for seizure, and 0% headache, asbestosis denied as of 6/2002. PTSD was granted at 30% in 3/2003.

Does he get SSA for disability?If so what disability?

Is there a claim actually pending?

Has he applied for TDIU?

Yes he gets SSA effective 2/2000,got SSI for a short time initially. Do not remember specifically what SSA was granted for other than bleeding disorder and maybe PTSD,would have to get paperwork from SSA to be sure. I know that periodically we get a phone call from SSA to update for review and he has not had to have another exam because new dx keep getting added to medical hx. No, he has not to my knowledge applied for TDIU

Yes he gets SSA effective 2/2000,got SSI for a short time initially. Do not remember specifically what SSA was granted for other than bleeding disorder and maybe PTSD,would have to get paperwork from SSA to be sure. I know that periodically we get a phone call from SSA to update for review and he has not had to have another exam because new dx keep getting added to medical hx. No, he has not to my knowledge applied for TDIU

No we have no claims pending

TDIU might be good way to go with so many disabilities that could all have nexus to his service.

I suggest that you get help of a good vet rep to file out this form as to his disabilities.Do you have the exact medical term for the blood disorder?

He can apply for TDIU (100 % comp rate paid for TDIU) regardless of what his SC percentage is now.

TDIU_21_8940.pdf

Edited by Berta