Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reading/writing Difficulties

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

Trying to do a little research here and wonder if anyone knows the diagnostic code or direction I could follow regarding reading/writing difficulties, my condition is caused by a head injury. If anyone knows what diagnostic codes cover this please let me know. Also I haven't seen a doctor about this because I'm still active duty and afraid that discloser could lead to discharge (difficult spot to be in) but since I'm appox 1 year away from retirement I think it's about time to seek treatment.

Back ground

2.5 x 3.5 inch piece of skull removed with plastic plate installed (2 surgeries)

small amount of underlining brain damage

moderate amount of reading/writing difficulties

4 inch disfiguring scar

some headaches

Thanks

Rob m

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Rob

By all means, stick it out until you can retire for YOS. Chap 61 (medical) retirees still have their retired pay offset by VA compensation. If you are a YOS retiree and have a >50% rating, then your VA compensation offset is phased out over a period of years, ending in 2014 I believe.

Whether or not you work, is a personal decision. Generally, if you are working you won't get 100% for certain disabilities but that doesn't mean you can't wind up with a combined 100% rating using the ratings schedule with multiple disabilities.

100% schedular, you can still work--your 100% rating being awarded based on your disabilities.

TDIU pays at 100%, but is based on being both unemployed and unemployable. TDIU recipients have a disability rating less than 100%, but get paid at 100% based on their unemployability due to service connected disabilities.

that help?