Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy Won By Non-diabetic.

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I posted the following comments as a reply on another topic. but it reminded me that I have oft heard that it's practically impossible to win Peripheral Neuropathy if you are not diabetic.

Well, I was awarded PN sc and I am not diabetic. I hereby post my particulars on the chance they may benefit somebody in a alike situation...

I have a granted peripheral neuropathy claim and I am not diabetic. I just got it (the award that is) in fact. The award decision says-

"Service Connection for peripheral neuropathy, bilateral lower extremities."

it was established as "related to the service connected degenerative joint disease, lumbar spine."

I had a heck of a time because when it was diagnosed, the physician would only state cause as "idiopathic" meaning he didn't know what caused it. Even the C&P examiner was denied further answer to that question. The award letter does explain they granted for for peripheral neuropathy, bilateral lower extremities (also claimed as restless leg syndrome).

They allowed 10% for each lower extremity as secondary to service connected flat feet.

How "restless leg syndrome got in there, I am not quite sure. I am being treated for it (and RLS is a real PITA, believe me!) but I never filed any claim on it.

So there you have it. S/C peripheral neuropathy and I do not (thank God) have diabetes.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Nothing new here.. happens all the time... I have the same problem due to my back injury.

True. But many people will, and often do here, say otherwise. :( Since I am recently in a position to directly address the comments, I did.

They awarded a claim, from NY at the BVA which I posted here -forget where-

Direct SC for PN with no DMII.

The veterans had satisfied with his SMRS and Vietnam service- the extremely limiting original PN regulations.

He showed evidence of peripheral neuropathy -that met the PN criteria-while he was in the military and got SC by direct service connection-not through presumption due to AO.

It didnt matter where he served for this type of award.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.