Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where Did The Deducted Monies Go?

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

So now the attys are saying they didnt get paid from the VA and want us to mail then 20 of the net- after the VAtook out lots of $$ -the NSC pension) so if they didnt pay them-where is the unaccountable money? Called Congressmansaide in DC have her looking into it -

Yet we still have another appeal that isnt settled yet-it should be done soon it was for HBP related PTSD/and the doc said yes-and sent everything back to the RO

The attys are POA for that issue as well-even though they dont realize this I guess :(

so I am thinking they are holding theirs until this issue is done and they will give them all of it at once-and why have they waited a month to call me?

It says right in the contract the VA is to pay them directly...

They think I just fell outta the sky I guess.....................anybodys opinions ?

There is no breakdown of what money they took just the monthly entitlement amountsby the years..Thanks Mrsvet :D

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Mrs.Vet

I meant if the VA sent you a letter with appellate rights if you questioned the fees-

but with a contract -you are bound by whatever the contract says.

I had a lawyer for 3 weeks for my CUE claims. But they didn't want me to date the agreement when I signed it.say what?

They were looking at my other claim's potential retro and the potential as well for a faster award than on the CUE claims.

No way I would have signed that agreement.

Contracts have to be carefully read before being signed. The 20 % is a usual fee.

Berta

I was just crunching numbers dragged everything out for 5 days all of what could be what they took back- and I found where the lawyers money went-

We bought a retiremnt home and the VA sent the mortgage co. a letter saying that my husband has received the 2823 a month since last year 08 as of Dec. and we didnt win the claim till Nov of 09'-when I did the math the amount is to the penny of the lawyers 20%-we didnt get that as of 08 because we didnt win till 09

Follow ? does this make sense of course not-at least I found the differnce -it we didnt get a house I wouldnt have known.........

But when in doubt it might pay to ask a contract attorney what exactly the lawyer can charge you for - depending on the contract you signed.

I am emphasizing what u said your contract said:

It is understood that this contingent fee is to be paid by the VA directly to the Attorney from any past due benefits. The contract does not say you have to guarntee payment by the VA, rather the VA pays the attorney directly. Of course, the attorney would like you to think that you are guarnteeing the VA pays you, but remember this is a contingency payment...which doesnt pay all the time, it is "to be paid by the VA directly" and makes no mention of you paying it if the VA wont.

Repeat..dont pay the lawyer..let him collect it from the VA, and point out this clause to him/her.

REPEAT: It is not your responsibility what the VA does/ does not do. It is in the lawyer's best interest to insure the payment goes directly to him, this keeps some people from spending the money. There are other options for the attorny to receive payment..he elected this one, so he needs to make it happen, not you.

Just an update:

Asked for an audit of deductions that were taken still no word-I called the Congressmans office and they are doing it-plus I IRISED it still no reply-

sent the lawyer a letter stating about the audit and still no word from them-but we still have one more issue for hypertension open under appeal-so I am guessing that will be resolved soon-will keep you posted-A Peaceful New Year TO ALL HERE

Take care Mrsvet :P

Why did you even hire the attorney in the first place? It is clear that the attorney didn’t get paid. If you owe it then pay the attorney for their service. Remember, our fight is with the VA and not the ones that are trying to help us. Honor first!