Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Secondary Conditions

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I have hives (urticaria) which are more or less controled with medication (daily tablet for the last 9 years). Anyway I saw a dermatologist who through blood work exams

told me I have an auto-immune system problem and this auto-immune problem is what is causing my hives. I was wondering if this would be considered 2 different claims?

1. Claim for the auto-immune system problem

2. Claim for the hives caused by the AI problems.

Also can being on long term meds be considered a third claim?

I am active duty so all this should be service connected.

Thanks

Rob

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If I were you I would claim the AI and give VA the exact medical diagnosis for that and claim the hives as secondary.

The VA could rate these as SC but as not compensable.

Still with a SC rating even at "0"-that would make it easier to claim higher rating in the future.

There are claims at the BVA for these conditions but it is hard to say what type of rating your condition would generate.

That depends on the medical evidence you have in your SMRs.

If you search the BVA decisions at the VA web site for these conditions you can determine how they might rate them.Might....

Do you have copies of any private derm doc's records on you?

Welcome here and others will chime in too.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Since you are active duty keep in mind that you should go and get a physical before your ETS/Retirement physical, to make sure that any problems you have get written in your records. I think it would be best if your dermatologist diagnose what type of Autoimmune Disorder you have because there are a lot of them and it would help your claim if you have a specific diagnosis from active duty. Also make sure you get a copy of your medical records before you get out.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Rob,

Please make certain you have everything documented in your medical records. Now, while you are still active is the time to do this. I don't know how long you have until you get out, but it is essential that you get a diagnosis of everything you have incurred during your service, or has been worsened by service in there. You would be amazed at how many sailors/soldiers etc. who THINK they have a diagnosis and actually do not.

The service often discourages this. Well they ALWAYS discourage this. It's an institutional issue that pervades all branches. Things that I encounter that many service members forget, or dismiss...

shin splints...

simple fractures

eczema

hearing loss - tinnitus

ACQUIRED flat feet - fallen arches - aka ples planus

knee injury

low back injury

(lots of airborn qualified guys hit all these yet only go to a TMC and dont get it documented in their medical records.)

also there is STILL a stigma attached to PTSD...

Now you may not suffer from these Rob, but others reading this post may. The SINGLE most important thing a service member can do prior to getting out is ensuring that any injuries get properly documented. The exam they do at ETS is less than one would wish, and many people assume the military will take care of them. The fact is once you are getting out, you cease being a soldier and are just another drain on their resources. I know thats NOT what one would hope, nor what our military deserves yet it is the truth. The is an issue with every branch, not just any single one, though some are worse than others.

You or any other military member who is getting out is NOT going to get a fair deal without proper documentation. That is just a fact as many here will attest to. So the best way to prepare - is to prepare, and not leave it until the day AFTER you get out. That seems to be what you are doing so you are already ahead of the game.

remember without a diagnosis you DONT have it... also good thinking on the secondary issues. These are often missed. Good luck and feel free to IM me.

Bob Smith

Bob Smith

Hello and welcome Rob, I want to thank you for your service and hope you are able to enjoy this country you served,,,,thank you. Rob, Berta and Pete are giving some sound advice. I too would agree with Pete that there is something causing your autoimmune problems. I also have an autoimmune problem and am now at my latter yrs am getting severe swelling and infections in my feet , legs arms and hands and some of them serious requiring emergency hospital and surgeries. The VA is suppose to get me to a Rhemeutologist to find out why my bloodwork and my infections and immmune system are shot. I also have inflammatory bowel disease , a known autoimmune diseae problem, which is also treated by medication from the VA. Do you have inflammatory bowel disease which is an autoimmune system disease? Have you had a colonoscopy to help aid in this? Something is causing the autoimmune problems. The VA does not want to find out only check you for HEP, HIV and then they just lock up on you after that. Its like they do not want to look any further. So that may lead you to have to see an outside doctor for a diagnosis. I want to also say that my problems are all chemical related so you may want to cover your bases on where you were and any COC you were exposed to. What was your MOS?

I would certainly press for a gastro doctor exam. Auto Immune can kill you. I would also as Pete and Berta have said keep your paper trail hot and get your records on all of your SMRs and your doctors visits with DIAGONSIS. Ask them where is the autoimmune coming from?? Your bloodwork will be showing some problems also with readings in Calc, RBC, and Trigly, ALV and some others too high or some low. Make them see the blood work saying something is wrong. Rob when you have your records in service showing you have a history of medical problems it makes the VA more responsible when you get out. As far as your medications , I am not sure if you have a claim , but it certainly shows that you are or have been treated for your disease. So they (VA)cannot say it was "resolved" Stay on those meds if you need them and keep the refills active. Dont let them expire. I have my SMRs showing severe lung problems while at cesspool that is part of the superfund, so far the VA has not wanted to look at them but someone will eventually look at them in the VA probably at the court level. Your records and evidence are everything , keep them close to you. Get everything you can diagnosed before you get out. Even if it is a private doctor so at least you have a diagnosis while still in service. Once again Thank you, God Bless, MERRY CHRISTMAS and remember NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

CC,

My AI problems started about 9 years ago when I was in Kuwait. I was walking through a bombed out building and found a piece of a bomb/shell casing. I picked it up, looked at it for a minute and threw it back down. A day or two latter I started getting rashes/hives. Every mil doc I saw told me it wasn't related and then about 3 or 4 years latter a private doc told me I had an auto-immune system problem which was causing the rashes/hives.

Thanks for the input and I will make sure it is addressed at my exit physical later next year. What I would really like is a cure, but after appox 9 years of having this I don't think that is possible.

Rob M, I apologize but there are no cures or as many of my doctor's have said "there are no magic pills to make you get better". I have most of the conditions that our government calls Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) plus other disabilities and not knowing what your body can/will do from one day to the next is very depressing and frightening but we can only take it one day at a time. Also you may want to see a psychiatrist for depression or PTSD if they apply.

Hope the best for you.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.