Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Claim Related, But Can Show You How Depression Works On Your Mind

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

My Tom Cat that I have raised from a kitten and who used to sleep next to me at night has turned ferrel since I brought home a female kitten nearly a year ago. He still comes home most days to be fed, but he will no longer allow me to pick him up without trying to scratch and bite me, nor does he respond anymore to being called to meal time, when I normally feed the other cat. I do seperate the two when feeding them and I do provide seperate feeding dishes. If I try to keep him inside he puts up such a fuss and claws at the pet door with such force, he has caused some small damage to the pet door incasement.

He is no longer around 99% of the time when he used to give me injoyment when playing with him and now he no longer seems to find any interest in these games, since I can no longer ingage him into them, no matter how hard I try or varied the games he used to, or at least seemed to find interesting and engaging.

I don't know what to do with him now, I worry so much when he stays away for more than a day. I'm certain it is not good for my health or my level of depression and anxiety

It may seem overly silly to some of you, but it is like a unrully child who has run away from home and only comes home whe it pleases them or they are in need of something.

I don't know how or what I can do to regain my Tom Cat's affection again, I nursed him through cat fight wounds and what appeared to have been a bad wound on his leg from a trap and now none of this seems to register in his mind that I am him friend and can be trusted. I long for my old Tom Cat to return to me and to once again find him sleeping next to me as before.

I find it hard to believe that he is this way because I brought another cat into the house, since he is much bigger and stronger than the younger one, yet he will have nothing to do with this other cat and will pin her down should she try to press her attention on to him or he will excape to the outdoors where she will not follow him.

Their has to be a way to regain the trust and affection of a cat that has gone ferril, but I am at a loss at how to go about it without limiting the cats movements by placing them in a cage until the do.

I ask of those out there who are Cat lovers, what they think I should do. I don't know how much longer I can stand this situation of being just a food way station for him without some return of affection in kind.

My Cats are like my children and to have one act this way, plays havic on my depression and when he is not there when expected, raises my anxiety to an unbearable level, that worries me as much about my depression level is.

I've been ranting far to long and it has me longing far to much for my next dose of medication so I will go for now and check back tomarrow for any replies.

Thank you all for being out there even if it is to lisen and respond to my ever present rants of whoa is me.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes:

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
My Tom Cat that I have raised from a kitten and who used to sleep next to me at night has turned ferrel since I brought home a female kitten nearly a year ago. He still comes home most days to be fed, but he will no longer allow me to pick him up without trying to scratch and bite me, nor does he respond anymore to being called to meal time, when I normally feed the other cat. I do seperate the two when feeding them and I do provide seperate feeding dishes. If I try to keep him inside he puts up such a fuss and claws at the pet door with such force, he has caused some small damage to the pet door incasement.

He is no longer around 99% of the time when he used to give me injoyment when playing with him and now he no longer seems to find any interest in these games, since I can no longer ingage him into them, no matter how hard I try or varied the games he used to, or at least seemed to find interesting and engaging.

I don't know what to do with him now, I worry so much when he stays away for more than a day. I'm certain it is not good for my health or my level of depression and anxiety

It may seem overly silly to some of you, but it is like a unrully child who has run away from home and only comes home whe it pleases them or they are in need of something.

I don't know how or what I can do to regain my Tom Cat's affection again, I nursed him through cat fight wounds and what appeared to have been a bad wound on his leg from a trap and now none of this seems to register in his mind that I am him friend and can be trusted. I long for my old Tom Cat to return to me and to once again find him sleeping next to me as before.

I find it hard to believe that he is this way because I brought another cat into the house, since he is much bigger and stronger than the younger one, yet he will have nothing to do with this other cat and will pin her down should she try to press her attention on to him or he will excape to the outdoors where she will not follow him.

Their has to be a way to regain the trust and affection of a cat that has gone ferril, but I am at a loss at how to go about it without limiting the cats movements by placing them in a cage until the do.

I ask of those out there who are Cat lovers, what they think I should do. I don't know how much longer I can stand this situation of being just a food way station for him without some return of affection in kind.

My Cats are like my children and to have one act this way, plays havic on my depression and when he is not there when expected, raises my anxiety to an unbearable level, that worries me as much about my depression level is.

I've been ranting far to long and it has me longing far to much for my next dose of medication so I will go for now and check back tomarrow for any replies.

Thank you all for being out there even if it is to lisen and respond to my ever present rants of whoa is me.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes:

we have cats lots of cats we have had similar problems sometimes they will come home and eat other times when they get jealous they just disappear and go find a new place to eatand sleep remember if you want an animal that will jump up and run when you yell get a dog they obey, if you loveself indepedent loving animals then get a cat they do what they want when they want and call one of them you get a "eat chit and die look" or "am I bothering you" "can't you tell I am sleeping go away" our cats run off and come home with 3 -5 kittens occasionally after being gone 30-60 days where we seldom see them then lo and behld they come back just like kids, with more mouths to feed "grand kids" I still like the cats better rofl

I guess my TomCat must be mad at me for getting another Cat, even though it was a female and has tried it's best to be his friend and wanting to play with him, as kittens seem to love to do, but Tom won't have much if anything to do with the younger Cat. The only worry I had becuase of his stand offish attitude was that he might try and make a Mother Cat out of the young female, but I need not have to worry anymore about that, I took my young female in today and had her spayed.

I know this was the responsible thing to do, since I could ill afford to feed a house full of kittens, not to mention vacinations and such they would be needing, nor being able to find homes for them. As soon as I finish the repairs on the subfloor in my bathroom, then it will be time for Tom to come and stay indoors, becoming an indoor cat once again, now that it is safe to have the two of them closed up in the house together without the worry of the female getting knocked up LoL.

Rockhound Rider ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry you have lost a friend but its pretty obvious from your post that you know it. If I were in your shoes I would probably continue to leave food for Tom outside till he does not comeback at all.

I had a black cat we called pretty cat who would spend 50% of his time outside and 50% inside. When he was a kitten I would whistle and he would come to me like a little dog.

When he was 7 he left and never came back. I mourned for him but I think he had a good 7 years.

As far as your cat he is free and maybe that is better than most have in life.

I hope that your new cat brings you comfort. We also had an indoor cat named Prissy and she lived 25 years. We also had dogs and they got along but we had to put the cat food on the counter.

I think that they used to call what has happened to you "The Call of the Wild"

Sorry about your Tom. I have lost them before as well. I had a dry spell when Paul was alive - he was so allergic that it was a threat to his health to have an animal in the house. So for a long time I did not have any pets. After he died, I was given a cat, and adopted an adult male at the pound...got them both neutered and spayed, and when the third joined this family, I neutered him too, young in fact.

I eventually gave the female away as she was harrassed by the males and I hated to hear her scream. My boys don't wander far, are home every day, eat, sleep and play together. They have their own door too, which negates me having to have a cat box.

I am so sorry about your tom. Maybe he was not meant to be a 'living with a human' cat. Try to take solace in your kitten, but I know the loss is hard to take.

akwidow

• HadIt.com Elder

NEUTER your TomCat, Rockhound.

Otherwise, you will never be able to "keep him home", and, sooner, rather than later, he will either be killed by another tom cat, an irate neighbor, a coyote, or a dog. Because, when in the mating heat, the tom cats are senseless, noisy, and very vulnerable. Just having your female spayed will not do a thing to help your male.

Owner (yeah, right!) of Moe, Gracie, Lucy, Lola, and Kinky.

I would have liked to have my Tom Cat Neutered, but given his age, their were added costs that the program that helped pay for my kitten being spayed, doesn't pay for and I could not afford at this time. The special program that defrayed all but ten dollars of my kittens cost will end at the end of this month and their is no telling if the program will be renewed at a later date, so that mean it will cost upwards of eighty dollars or more, which means I will have to wait until next summer when I do not have the added cost of heating fuel to pay for. I should have done it a long time ago, when he was a young cat, but their always seemed to be some added expense to my budget that kept me from being able to do it. This year it happened to be the replacement of the subfloor in my bathroom due to water damage from a broken water line.

My Tom Cat is going to have to deal with being a in door cat once again, I can no longer afford the cost of the heat that is lost through the pet door during the winter months, I'm almost sure the heat loss is near equal to the other types and avenues for heat loss in my home so the savings could be considerable, possibly as much as one fourth or more of my bill is due to the heat loss from the pet door, not to mention the cold draft that comes through it when it is windy outside.

Got to go, since it seems my kitten has gotten her appetite back and is making a fuss to be fed. Cats do seem to know how to get their way when they want something. LoL

Rockhound Rider :)