VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi

Rate this question

kansasguy

Question

Ok started to think of something. I filed for TBI but my service record only says I recieved a head injury and doesnt mention TBI. The doctor I go to say TBI but what will rateing do? Since I just have mention of a head injury. Do I need to do head injury in my claim or will Raters look at both head injury/TBI when they rate?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Ok started to think of something. I filed for TBI but my service record only says I recieved a head injury and doesnt mention TBI. The doctor I go to say TBI but what will rateing do? Since I just have mention of a head injury. Do I need to do head injury in my claim or will Raters look at both head injury/TBI when they rate?

It is generally a good idea to go with the medical diagnosis. If your doctor says "TBI" and you have his diagnosis stating "TBI" and a medical rationale of his diagnosis along with a "nexus" linking your current symptoms to your military service (your Service Treatment Records for "head injury"), then you need to stick with your doctor's "TBI" and that is how your claim needs to be worded.

If you will include your doctor's diagnosis along with a copy of your Service Treatment Records showing where/when you were treated for "head injury" then you are well on your way to winning your claim (bearing in mind that I have NO idea as to your symptons or the seriousness of your TBI).

I'd take me a HI-LITER and highlight the pertinent portions of all your records, making it easier for the VA "rater" to read your claim, SMT records and current doctor's diagnosis and treatment notes.

• HadIt.com Elder

The term TBI could range from a mild concussion to having half you brain blown away. Some guys have headaches and some don't even remember their names. I think it depends on your symptoms, but the TBI diangosis is a win situation. How did you get the TBI?

I fell Head first 8 feet. Hitting my front left side of my head on a metal rail and than on concrete. The C&P doc said depression and sleep disorder are at least likely as not as a result of TBI. But I look at my Service records and they dont mention TBI in them just I had a head injury. The C&P also wrote patiant had a fall in the service where he fell 8 feet hitting his left frontal lobe. Behavioral and personality changes after fall. So I dont need to have the word TBI in my military record for the TBI claim just it showing I had a head injury be good enough? My physcoligest does have in her report i submitted that she cant say for sure if the depression and sleep disorders and stuff is caused from TBI or PTSD from a personal assult. But she has been putting diagnoise TBI PTSD ADD LD in all her reports.

• HadIt.com Elder
I fell Head first 8 feet. Hitting my front left side of my head on a metal rail and than on concrete. The C&P doc said depression and sleep disorder are at least likely as not as a result of TBI. But I look at my Service records and they dont mention TBI in them just I had a head injury. The C&P also wrote patiant had a fall in the service where he fell 8 feet hitting his left frontal lobe. Behavioral and personality changes after fall. So I dont need to have the word TBI in my military record for the TBI claim just it showing I had a head injury be good enough? My physcoligest does have in her report i submitted that she cant say for sure if the depression and sleep disorders and stuff is caused from TBI or PTSD from a personal assult. But she has been putting diagnoise TBI PTSD ADD LD in all her reports.

You need to simply let the "records speak for themselves". Your Service Treatment Records were, most likely, PRIOR to the current widespread usage of the terminology "TBI", but, EVERYBODY including (especially) the VA, is well aware that "head injury" and "behavioral changes" and "personality changes", etc., ARE indicators of TBI.

Let it stand. Do not go around "muddying the waters". Your Doctors' statements are much more effective than anything that you could possibly say.

You have TBI. Your Service Treatment Records show an obvious Traumatic Brain Injury. You have a "Nexus" connecting then and now.

So, you have TBI.

The only question remaining is HOW MUCH your TBI has affected your life. In other words, what "rating percentage" you will wind up with is the question, and, the VA will attempt to determine that by performing a "C&P" examination. This is where your current medical records and your diagnosis by your current treating practioners will certainly come into play. IF you have GOOD records from your current doctor(s), then you will have a much easier time with the VA.

It sounds to me like you do have good med recs.

Quit worrying about whether you claimed the right claim.

You did.

Ok thanks for advice. I think the doctor I go to does very good records. She is one of the TOP doctors that work at the local VA. It has affected me alot. I will let you know what they decide hopefully it wont take forever. I hope after the 6omins deal people will start to outcry and VA comes up with a faster and effeciant way to do claims.