Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Incompetency Means No Firearms, Too?

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

Last week I got an award raising me from 30% to 70% for PTSD. Today a lady called and identified herself as a VA representative and said my claim is still "being processed". Then she said I cannot purchase or transport firearms since I am being determined incompetent, based on the C&P examination report. During the exam I had told the C&P doctor/examiner that my wife handles our finances. She's a financial planner, for pete's sake!

So the lady said, as was also stated in the award letter, that VA "proposed" to find me incompetent to handle my finances and I would need to designate a fiduciary.

I had already talked to my psychiatrist at VAMC and he is writing a letter to the effect that I am not incompetent. I already knew that :) .

What bugs me most is that the award letter, and the incompetency letter which was delivered at the same time, said nothing about my right to bear arms and now I get a phone call about it. AND my caller ID reads "unknown number".

What the heck is this woman doing, calling me on the phone? Shouldn't I be notified of this in writing? What effect does this have on a concealed carry permit?

Can I get a witness? Carlie, what is going on at Bay Pines?

Edited by Doc John

Platoon Corpsman, Hotel 2/4, Hotel 2/9, IIIMARDIV 1973-1974

Last Duty Station: OCS Medical Clinic, USMC Base, Quantico, VA 1990-1992.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I wonder is this new law has anything to do with it? It makes me very nervous because I am SC for TBI and cognitive disorder NOS and I carry gun for work. They article does say "Please note again that a person cannot be put on the NICS list solely for a "medical finding of disability," and that would include PTSD."

If the VA rating official misunderstands the law, then maybe that is why they called.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfOCT07/nf100107-1.htm

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA turned a lot of Veterans in so that they would be on the no buy list years ago.

One of these days I think I should apply for a check and see if I can buy a gun although anyone in America who wants a gun can get it easy enough without going through a background check.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Well this is an interesting topic, My husband is 100% SC'ed PTSD. His psych actually told him that he should wear his 9mm at all times. Sounds like an interesting thing for a VA psych to say doesn't it! Well I asked her why.....She said if he is wearing his gun he may kill one person, but if he's not he will have to improvise and may take out a whole city block ya know! LOL!!!!!

It sounds funny but it's true. Wearing the gun makes my husband more alert and responsible, it reminds him that his purpose is to protect the American people not to hurt them, and it helps keep him in the right frame of mind and in the present. When his not wearing his gun he gets nervous real bad. So I guess there is some truth to what his VA psych said.He also has a concealed carry permit,and has already stopped three robberies in the past ten years so I think it is a good thing..

Edited by hawkfire27

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.