Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Incompetency Means No Firearms, Too?

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

Last week I got an award raising me from 30% to 70% for PTSD. Today a lady called and identified herself as a VA representative and said my claim is still "being processed". Then she said I cannot purchase or transport firearms since I am being determined incompetent, based on the C&P examination report. During the exam I had told the C&P doctor/examiner that my wife handles our finances. She's a financial planner, for pete's sake!

So the lady said, as was also stated in the award letter, that VA "proposed" to find me incompetent to handle my finances and I would need to designate a fiduciary.

I had already talked to my psychiatrist at VAMC and he is writing a letter to the effect that I am not incompetent. I already knew that :) .

What bugs me most is that the award letter, and the incompetency letter which was delivered at the same time, said nothing about my right to bear arms and now I get a phone call about it. AND my caller ID reads "unknown number".

What the heck is this woman doing, calling me on the phone? Shouldn't I be notified of this in writing? What effect does this have on a concealed carry permit?

Can I get a witness? Carlie, what is going on at Bay Pines?

Edited by Doc John

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

That, sir, is a very good question regarding incompetence versus 100%.

I am not yet to the point in the process where I need to address that curious dilemma.

I will keep your question in the back of my mind and raise it, hopefully, at the proper time.

Right now I am awaiting the letter from my psych stating that in the real world, not the VA Planet, I am not incompetent to handle my affairs. If that fails I will start asking the question you have proposed.

Doc

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have not been ruled incompetent by a Court of Law (here come de judge, here come de judge, look out folks, here come de judge!) then you are not, legally, incompetent. If you are a resident of a psychiatric facility, then you cannot own a firearm (they have no place to put them, the little bedside table that they furnish your room with will be full of your "other stuff"). :)

In order to receive the benefit, you have to comply with the VA Laws. Do the guns belong to your wife. Now, if they tell you to get them out of the house, I am affraid you have to comply. I see their reasoning, however, you as do all Americans, have the right to bear arms. However, in this case, if you do, and they find out, they will stop your benefit. The question becomes, which one means the most to you. I fully understand the VA, they don't want PTSD Vets snapping, and you have to understand that. Not saying you would, but no one never knows. I feel you pain.

Now, the blank phone call, to me, seams a little fishy. They should have given you a number to someone who you could plead your case to. It is so amazing that such a professional organization is so unorganized...NO PROFESSIONALISM. Past VA leaders have fostered a culture in the VA that says, you can treat Vets any way they like. They have forgotten who they work for. WE ARE THE CUSTOMER. You serve us, not the other way around, and if you don't like your job, stand aside and let REAL VETS WORK FOR VETS...

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't confuse the VA Incompetent to handle funds usually a determination by a rater of some sort with incompetence in need of a guardian.For a long time the VA in Waco would do this to poor Veterans and appoint a buddy to handle the finances and you can guess what happened after that.

The woman who called you should be fired or retrained in my opinion.

VA laws? The VA ain't gonna tell me or anyone to get their guns out of their house. That would be something the legal authorities would do, not the VA. The VA is an organization, not law enforcement.

That woman needs to be fired. The woman that called did you get her name and contact info so you could verify her statement?

If she calls again make sure you get that info so you can get her arse fired.

Jerr

In order to receive the benefit, you have to comply with the VA Laws. Do the guns belong to your wife. Now, if they tell you to get them out of the house, I am affraid you have to comply. I see their reasoning, however, you as do all Americans, have the right to bear arms. However, in this case, if you do, and they find out, they will stop your benefit. The question becomes, which one means the most to you. I fully understand the VA, they don't want PTSD Vets snapping, and you have to understand that. Not saying you would, but no one never knows. I feel you pain.

Now, the blank phone call, to me, seams a little fishy. They should have given you a number to someone who you could plead your case to. It is so amazing that such a professional organization is so unorganized...NO PROFESSIONALISM. Past VA leaders have fostered a culture in the VA that says, you can treat Vets any way they like. They have forgotten who they work for. WE ARE THE CUSTOMER. You serve us, not the other way around, and if you don't like your job, stand aside and let REAL VETS WORK FOR VETS...

Jerr, you said: "That woman needs to be fired. The woman that called did you get her name and contact info so you could verify her statement?"

No name, no number and no info other than she said she was from the VA and they are "still processing" my claim. My caller I.D. only showed "unknown number" and normally it shows the main number at the regional office when they call. My telephone line is so full of static and my hearing is so bad that I could just barely understand her anyway. I hope she calls again after my phone line is fixed. :)

Doc