Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson's Disease

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a cousin who I recently learned has Parkinson. He was in the Viet Nam war. I have heard that Parkinson is linked to Viet Nam (Agent Orange). No one in his family has ever had Parkinson.

My questions are (1) Does it matter what branch of service he served in, just as long as he was in Viet Nam; and (2) How would he go about applying for service connection.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

As long as he was incountry Vietnam vet during the war- he should certainly apply for SC of his Parkinson's. The official regulations have not been published yet but the VA has already received many claims under the 3 new presumptive AO disabilities.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see wonderful Berta responded while I was typing but heres what I wrote....

You have come to the right place to begin. Many others here have experience and will chime in. For starters, Did you look at the VA link ? http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/AOno3.htm - its a starting point. You'll need some information from your cousin. Does he have a veteran service officer (like Disabled American Veterans, VFW, American Legion or similar?). Well depends on a variety of experiences, but sometimes these officers are starting points for processing claims or your cousin (or family member with details) are very VERY welcome to come here to get started in case he doesn't have VA disabilities claimed yet.

Best to ya,

Cowgirl'up!

Hi everyone,

I have a cousin who I recently learned has Parkinson. He was in the Viet Nam war. I have heard that Parkinson is linked to Viet Nam (Agent Orange). No one in his family has ever had Parkinson.

My questions are (1) Does it matter what branch of service he served in, just as long as he was in Viet Nam; and (2) How would he go about applying for service connection.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by cowgirl

Thanks Cowgirl-you made a great point- we dont know if he needs to file the formal 21-526 or he has already done that.

Thanks all for your quick replies. I appreciate them.

No he has never filed a Form 21-526. He hasn't applied to any VA for any service connected conditions. He is just baffled about having Parkinson and with no one in his family ever having it. But now he believes he gotten it from being in Viet Nam.

Does anyone know of a good VSO in Dallas, TX that I can direct him to? Also, once again does AO cover all branch of services or just Navy?

Thanks for link.

All branches of service as long as service on Vietnamese soil during the time period of the Vietnam war is proven (and AO regs cover certain Korean Vets- those regs are in the AO forum here.