Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas Veterans Can Send Their Children To College

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All, Well I have some good news that I found out today by calling the Texas Veterans Commission. Basically it just changed alst month and it gives a Veterans dependents 150 hours of college . The requirements are supply a dd214 with honorable discharge and at least 180 days of service.

The child must be under 26 years of age and the college must be a stated owned school. HHmmmmmm Texas , Baylor, Texas Aand M, Rice, SMU Texas Tech, just to name a few. When the tuitions are running 25-35 thousand a year ,,,,well this is a big deal to me. I think this is marvelous and hoping my daughter will take advantage of it. Oh well , I want to post this for some who had not heard about it like me. It does not pay for the books or housing but thats fine. What a great day for Texas veterans and their kids. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP......C.C.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello All, Well I have some good news that I found out today by calling the Texas Veterans Commission. Basically it just changed alst month and it gives a Veterans dependents 150 hours of college . The requirements are supply a dd214 with honorable discharge and at least 180 days of service.

The child must be under 26 years of age and the college must be a stated owned school. HHmmmmmm Texas , Baylor, Texas Aand M, Rice, SMU Texas Tech, just to name a few. When the tuitions are running 25-35 thousand a year ,,,,well this is a big deal to me. I think this is marvelous and hoping my daughter will take advantage of it. Oh well , I want to post this for some who had not heard about it like me. It does not pay for the books or housing but thats fine. What a great day for Texas veterans and their kids. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP......C.C.

Does not apply to all Texas veterans. It only applies if the vetern entered service from Texas, or was born in Texas. A Texan by choice ie: relocated after service does not qualify.

Hello Teac,,,,, I only read the website and saw that that did not apply to me and I talked to the Rep at the TVC and got what I needed. I was born here and went to my swearing in at San Antonio, Texas so I hope this is all true. I am wondering why noone has posted this here before as I never heard of it. It is a tremendous benefit for our kids. I would like to call it a God send myself. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

just because you were not born in Texas does not mean you can't get it, if for some reason you were activated to active duty through the national guard your dependants will qualify.

Does not apply to all Texas veterans. It only applies if the vetern entered service from Texas, or was born in Texas. A Texan by choice ie: relocated after service does not qualify.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that it will work if you enetered service in Texas ended up in Texas when you separated or was born in Texas.

Capt you can go to College Tuition Free via Hazelwood Act if you have no more access to Pell Grants.

Also SMU is not a State School nor neither is Baylor.

The best way to check for benefits though is to go to the School and talk to the people who help students with Financial Aide they know almost every thing available

The Schools will help cause they get paid by State

Hello Pete,,,,Your exactly right..... I havent had any sleep ,,up all night with this stuff ,,,,,and having one of my bad days....sorry about the mistake..Yes it is state schools that apply. As far as I go I do not know what kind of student I would make now ...lol... but I did not know this so can you post for everyone what is involved with older vets going back to school. I did use my VA to go to College way back in the good ole days after I got out and it simple then to get the VA to help. Pete, this is some good stuff huh. I know there are alot of Vets that this post will help. Thanks and God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.