VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas Veterans Can Send Their Children To College

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All, Well I have some good news that I found out today by calling the Texas Veterans Commission. Basically it just changed alst month and it gives a Veterans dependents 150 hours of college . The requirements are supply a dd214 with honorable discharge and at least 180 days of service.

The child must be under 26 years of age and the college must be a stated owned school. HHmmmmmm Texas , Baylor, Texas Aand M, Rice, SMU Texas Tech, just to name a few. When the tuitions are running 25-35 thousand a year ,,,,well this is a big deal to me. I think this is marvelous and hoping my daughter will take advantage of it. Oh well , I want to post this for some who had not heard about it like me. It does not pay for the books or housing but thats fine. What a great day for Texas veterans and their kids. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP......C.C.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

All the community colleges and Junior Colleges would work also. You can get training in some trade schools. Turn over every rock

My oldest took training at Lincoln Technical Schools to become a certified mechanic. It paid for a year and he got a certificate. He used his training to get his current job.

just because you were not born in Texas does not mean you can't get it, if for some reason you were activated to active duty through the national guard your dependants will qualify.

Did I not say that one way to qualify was to enter military service in Texas? ... Sure I did........

first of all you don't need to come down with an attitude about this issue and for your information when I entered into active duty it was from a different state but i moved to texas and joined the national guard and later on I was call up for active duty for which I did almost an entire year in bosnia and because of my activation my familiy qualifies for the free tuition.

Did I not say that one way to qualify was to enter military service in Texas? ... Sure I did........

Hello Larry, Pete brought that up in his post and I was tired and didnt finish reading the TVC page all the way , mainly from lack of sleep. Sorry for the confusion. At any event it sure opens some doors for some Vets kids to get a great education at some of the state schools. Maybe Tbird can put up a permanent link that will allow any that come to the board to at least see there is something in place for the Veteran and his children. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

All you have to do is call the texas veterans commision and talk to the people in charge of the hazelwwod act and they will let you know everything you need to know. thats how I found out about this free tuition for dependants.

Hello Larry, Pete brought that up in his post and I was tired and didnt finish reading the TVC page all the way , mainly from lack of sleep. Sorry for the confusion. At any event it sure opens some doors for some Vets kids to get a great education at some of the state schools. Maybe Tbird can put up a permanent link that will allow any that come to the board to at least see there is something in place for the Veteran and his children. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

first of all you don't need to come down with an attitude about this issue and for your information when I entered into active duty it was from a different state but i moved to texas and joined the national guard and later on I was call up for active duty for which I did almost an entire year in bosnia and because of my activation my familiy qualifies for the free tuition.

I agree, I said if you entered service from texas you qualify, and you did not have to be born here.. I am not arguing or coming off with an attitude..... why so touchy? how about we just let it go......