VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Find A Doctor...

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

Sigh.

After many recommendations from the friendly folks here, and our own "had it" moments with the VA docs, we decided to bite the bullet and really start looking for a doctor who will take care of us and write the letters we need for the VA.

So far... 2 out of 3 that I've called aren't taking patients. The 3rd one's office person said she'd need to take all my information and submit it to the office manager for approval before she could make an appointment. I said before I waste a bunch of her time, I wanted to ask whether the doctor (well established family practice guy) would write letters if requested. She got all bunch and said she didn't know the answer to that question. I asked her if she could find out, and she said she was very busy...

I don't think I want to go to that place any way. We need to be approved? Criminy, whatever happened to just asking for insurance info?

I know I've only called 3 places, but I'm getting very bummed already.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep trying you will find one. Usually the Docs who are willing to write medical opinions are known to Social Security Lawyers and next time you call tell the person you talk to that you want a Doc who will take care of you and also willing to help with medical documentation for your claim.

Keep trying you will find one. Usually the Docs who are willing to write medical opinions are known to Social Security Lawyers and next time you call tell the person you talk to that you want a Doc who will take care of you and also willing to help with medical documentation for your claim.

Pete, thanks. I finally called an Occupational Health place that does pre-employment evaluations & Workman's Comp exams. The office lady said to bring all my records and that if I had a form for the Dr. to fill out, or a format for him to follow, he might be able to do it for me.

Insurance won't cover a visit to him, and it's $150.00. If I can't find anyone else, it would be a good investment, right? He is a board certified, full blown MD, so his statement should carry weight, right?

I forgot to ask...

It's been so long since I've been shopping for a doctor... is it typical for them to want to take all your info and then you have to wait to be "approved" before they'll take you as a patient? It got my back up when I was told that, but I'm a bit tetchy...

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess that they can make their own rules. I would hold them till I gave up on getting a regular Doc.

I spent almost 2 years trying to find a Doc but in the end I asked my friends and finally got a good recommendation> Maybe Hadit should consider keeping a Doc List with comments.

Sigh.

After many recommendations from the friendly folks here, and our own "had it" moments with the VA docs, we decided to bite the bullet and really start looking for a doctor who will take care of us and write the letters we need for the VA.

So far... 2 out of 3 that I've called aren't taking patients. The 3rd one's office person said she'd need to take all my information and submit it to the office manager for approval before she could make an appointment. I said before I waste a bunch of her time, I wanted to ask whether the doctor (well established family practice guy) would write letters if requested. She got all bunch and said she didn't know the answer to that question. I asked her if she could find out, and she said she was very busy...

I don't think I want to go to that place any way. We need to be approved? Criminy, whatever happened to just asking for insurance info?

I know I've only called 3 places, but I'm getting very bummed already.

where so you live?

I put up the name and address (in these forums under the IME section) of a occupation med place that spedcialiazes in finding doctors to do IMO/IME.. But, this is for Southern california.. Also, it was $1,600 for a 2 hours visit. I gave the doctor copies of my records, she examined me and sent me a report 2 months later. I then had it submitted with my appeal.

Edited by retiredat44