VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I was talking to a Vet friend of mine who gave me some advice when I was filing my claim for PTSD. I told him that I got 50% and he asked me if I thought that was fair. I thought about it and I said that it was ok at the present time in my life. Its not worth the effort or the stress to fight for more. I said if I got 30% I would have fought it.

I said that if I knew about PTSD and filed a claim in the 1980's that I would have gotten at least 70%. I have gotten mellow as I got older. Things still bother me but not like they did 25 years ago. Its an effort today to act right all the time. I know I burned a lot of bridges that can't be repaired with people but thats life. As I think back all the people that hate me or dislike me never went to war.

My wife stuck by me all these years and I will try to be a better husband every day.

Bill

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The big factor in going from 50% to 70% and beyond for a PTSD claim is "can you work". That is always the main factor in mental claims. If you can't work due to your PTSD you should get at least 70% and IU. Basically, as I see it the only difference between a mental health claim that gets 50% and 70% is the ability to work. If you get a rating of 50% that is good because the day you can no longer work you are in a good position to file a TDIU claim. I was 30% up to the day I had to retire on disability from my job. I filed for SSD and IU. I got medical reports and got the ducks in a row. It still took me over a year to get IU but the SSD came in three months. If you look at the criteria for 70% PTSD you know that person has a very hard time working or even getting along socially.

Guys,

I retired from the PO last April because I couldn't do it any longer. I was told I wasn't eligible for disability retirement because I was already eligible for regular retirement. I retired because I had a 90% blockage of the LAD and a stent was inserted and I also was seeing someone at the Vet center for PTSD which had flaired up again.

I couldn't take the BS at work and didn't want to have a heart attack over the mail and I wanted to kill upper management. I had the panic attacks and all the other BS that goes MH issues.

I have done nothing since I left the PO.

I was rated 50% in Jan 09 for AO related things. I filed a claim for CAD and was denied last April.

After going to the Vet Center for a few months I filed a claim for PTSD in late June and got 50% in Jan of this year.

I am now at 80%.

I had two C&P exams in Aug of 09. First one IU and the following week for PTSD.

The nurse for the IU exam said in her report that I could do sedentary work. I told her that was the type of job that I had at the PO and I was unable to do it any longer. I said I could sit for 10 min at a desk and then I would have to get up and take a break and chill out

for 20. I told her my PTSD prevented me from doing as sedentary job. I said I don't feel that I can function in the workplace.

I go to the DAV on Friday to file for an increase for PN on my legs and a claim for IHD.

I can't imagine getting much for the IHD because the stent and the meds seem to be working.

I may go to a private MH doctor and also file for IU again, Not sure.

Bill

The big factor in going from 50% to 70% and beyond for a PTSD claim is "can you work". That is always the main factor in mental claims. If you can't work due to your PTSD you should get at least 70% and IU. Basically, as I see it the only difference between a mental health claim that gets 50% and 70% is the ability to work. If you get a rating of 50% that is good because the day you can no longer work you are in a good position to file a TDIU claim. I was 30% up to the day I had to retire on disability from my job. I filed for SSD and IU. I got medical reports and got the ducks in a row. It still took me over a year to get IU but the SSD came in three months. If you look at the criteria for 70% PTSD you know that person has a very hard time working or even getting along socially.

John- this is loma linda bill- and i have a question, i have ptsd and my dr. is at loma lina and he put me on meds but how do i get a c&p exam? there at the VAMC or elsewhere and who puts it in????? I am lost help if you can, Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Bill

You have to file a claim for PTSD. Once you do that you will probably get a C&P exam. You only get a C&P if you are filing a new claim or a claim for an increase. C&P is part of the claim process.

Bill

You have to file a claim for PTSD. Once you do that you will probably get a C&P exam. You only get a C&P if you are filing a new claim or a claim for an increase. C&P is part of the claim process.

i AM ON AID AND ATTENDANCE AND ON SSDI SO I HOPE THAT HELPS I HAVE BEEN ON TOTAL DISABILITY FROM SOCIAL SECURITY SINCE 2003, AND THE DR. I AM SEEING NOW IN BHOST PUT ME ON PTSD MEDS FOR THE SEXUAL TRAUMA ISUFFERED I SURE HOPE THAT HELPS WHAT DO YA THINK?