VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35..use?

Rate this question

Markn123

Question

My wife has obtained her High School Diploma. She was approved for Chapter 35 bennies last year. She wants to take an online degree course. The school is one of the top accrediated online school..University of ------- ..Does Chapter 35 pay for online degree courses?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

You bet- as long as they are VA approved (which most colleges are).

I got my degree on line from a VA approved school 2 years ago.

I had earned half of the degree in traditional campus college prior to DEA eligibility.

My online school (I think they would all have this) gave me a VA counselor.

I would send her the proof of my tuition payments,course info,etc and then CC that email to a VA Educational counselor at VA EDY Buffalo NY-

The tuition for each semester has to paid and enrollment establshed and then they usually pay the benefit fairly smoothly-which is based on length of course, full time, or part time etc-and other factors which give the VA a daily rate to determine the actual payments.

The school might have a book grant program.Marine Corps Assoc gave me a book grant.

What a help that was-my text books were Very expensive.They sure might have a used book depository too available on lone- and that too is a wonderful help in saving some money on book fees.

Her course exams might have to be proctored.

I was able to find head librarians at colleges fairly close to me to proctor my exams.

She will need a good supply of PC PAPER and even 3 1/2 floppys or a good back up system for her work. I saved my school work on my PC,and on floppys and then made hard copies print outs too.

The homework was too hard to take any chance of losing any of it.

My online school required taking an initial course to punch up PC and writing skills.Her's might too- it would be found in the student guidelne manual if this is a pre-requisite.

ALL the work involves written matter although there are classes that provide interaction with other students as well as we even had a coffee klatch room on line.

(dont know how that worked)

I found that the professors I had maintained good one to one input with me as a student and one Major USMC at Quantico (my favorite professor) would call me up from time to time to discuss my work with me.

The profs ususally use email contact too if needed with students.

well-I could go on and on about this WONDERFUL VA benefit and am considering returning to AMU this spring.

The student handbooks on line are a great source for new students and all the degree programs will have the course requirements as well as the course descriptions she will need to read over.

I looked into this a few years ago. When you get a college degree, at least with most colleges, it says something line:

Bachelor of Science, Management Information Systems and NOT

Online Degree, BS, MIS.

Many colleges offer courses both online and on campus, and, since online degrees can be more profitable for the college, the colleges are unlikely to say anything bad about online degrees.

For example, If you made $500 selling Chevrolets, and $5000 selling Cadillacs, are you going to say bad things about someone wanting to buy a Cadillac?

Colleges know where their money comes from, so they dont bite the hand that feeds them.

I have taken both online courses, and on campus courses.

IMHO it depends on the student and the course as to which is better. For example, if you are disciplined to do your work when you are supposed to, etc, and if you are an experienced student, comfortable with computers, especially if it is a long way to campus, you should look into online courses.

However, if networking with your peers is an important part of your degree, such as a degree in marketing, or you are not comfortable with computers and have never been online, or if you really crave that student teacher relationship, then you should probably drive on campus.