Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Help/question For All Back Pain Veterans

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

Had a visit with my private neuro last week at the 6 week post op period following L4-L5 fusion. I still have considerable lower back pain...doctor said it was still normal at this time. The only thing that is bothering us is that I still have severe left side butt pain. The pain occurs mainly when I sit for more then about 30 minutes. The pain is almost rythmic and is like being stabbed in the butt. Once the pain begins to flair up like this there is no instant relief by standing/walking etc... Once it hits it seems to take a toll on the rest of my lower back. My doctor stated that there is a big enough opening and removal of disk at this level that there shouldn't be any nerve compression. He hopes that it will go away with time-thinking that it is bruised. He also stated that this may just be inheirent in the nerve now after the two surguries in the last 4 months. My leg pain that was occuring prior to surgery is gone, but I still have some loss of sensation in both legs. This entire episode began last April with severe pain in my butt. After two surguries I am still left with this same pain and it is very difficult to sit.

I guess my question to all of the back pain veterans is do any of you just have the sciatic pain only in the butt and not radiating down the leg? This has me concerned.

Any help or info is appreciated.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Papa- I am in the process of filing my claim and after reading a lot of posts on this wonderful site I will never give up. I have a lot of documentation regarding my surgery on the same disk while is was in the AF. I was lucky enough to have them take my serious after I could barely walk (not good if SP). It only took them 2-3 months to getca c-t scan and send me to Wilford Hall in S.A for the surgery. I hope you new found records will help with your claim.

I have had back surgery (L-4) and have degenerative disc disease. and arthritis of the spine..

I get shots in my spine for pain,, and they seem to help pretty good, but only for about 4 weeks per shot

I did heavy work in the USAF, and am only rated at 50% perent, but that was from chemicals and jet fuel and headaches and edema.. I did not have a specific back injury while in the USAF. Therefore, I never filed for back problems..

I take morphine for my pain and that barely helps..

I am not sure if you can get a claim approved for your back if you did not get back injury in the service..

the injury may not have shown up while on active duty, but can who up many years later..

but unless you can show it happened while on active duty, I am not sure it it can be won in a claim..

I am not sure if my VSO put that in my paperwork for my new claim..

but that would be nice, as hard physical labor defintely contributed to my back problems..

I am a total basket case..

My docotrs are a astonished of how by of shape my body is in.. I know.. because they tell me..

I am held together with hope, pain killer, and insanity,, (I suppose there is some sanity left...)

Good luck with you claims too!

Papa- I am in the process of filing my claim and after reading a lot of posts on this wonderful site I will never give up. I have a lot of documentation regarding my surgery on the same disk while is was in the AF. I was lucky enough to have them take my serious after I could barely walk (not good if SP). It only took them 2-3 months to getca c-t scan and send me to Wilford Hall in S.A for the surgery. I hope you new found records will help with your claim.

Since the injections did not help, the Pain Doctor said that I have two choices. One is surgery that will take about 8 weeks to recover or they can insert a device called a Neuromodulation device under the skin in my back. I would control it with a remote control. I wonder if everytime I push a button the lights blink, TV goes off :) . Has anyone had this done?

papa

I have been SC'd for DDD for my lower back. I have had a prior neck fusion C6-C7, so I know about the feeling. I have had 4 epidurals in my lower back and I drive a truck for a living. My MRI showed a bulging disc at L4-L5 and arthritis. My butt has pain after about 5minutes of sitting. It doesn't even have to be in the truck, it can be on the couch. Mine also causes Penile numbness (most guys won't talk about) after about 20-30 minutes. The Physical Therapist I saw in the past said that it could be the Pudendal nerve being pinched when sitting. I have an appointment with my Primary Care Team to discuss depression due to chronic pain and my constant sinus problems.

My neck fusion, it took along time to get the feeling back in my left arm. It is probably 95% at this time. It was done in 1997. I can't take heavy painkillers for the pain because The DOT would disqualify me on a drug screen.

I wish that back pain and Medicine was an exact science. I guess that's why they call it "Practicing Medicine," they haven't perfected it yet! :)