Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Mental Health Appointment

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

So I had my first Mental Health appointment at the VA. The TBI clinic suggested I go for symptoms of PTSD. It was pretty uneventful and the shrink was cool. She said I have PTSD and suggested counselling. I am being scheduled for individual conselling in the next few weeks. I guess I should do a FOIA in few weeks to see what the Doc put in her report, any other suggestions?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Signal6,

I am glad your appointment with Mental Health went well.  I am going on terminal leave in 11 days (yippeeeee) and have been seeing the MH providers at our medical group for 13 months.  I had similar issues with a traumatic event and chronic pain.  The psychiatrist I see (and now the psychologist) have ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT SAVED MY LIFE!  I went through a very prolonged 'conservative' treatment protocol (aka w/o drugs) for 9 months or so and then they suggested meds to help combat the chronic pain that was spiraling me down into depression.  I did not know it was depression because I was not sad....just extremely irritable, angry, frustrated....

With that being said the counseling with my psychiatrist and the intervention with the very low dose of antidepressants really helped....until about a month ago when my health took a huge downturn.  I set up an immediate appt with the psychiatrist/psychologist and we all agreed to continue visits but not change my medication as I believe it is helping.

Bonzai stated:

So they told me if I was not service-connected, then they were just going to take me off my meds, and I told them that they couldn't do that. I DID NOT want to go back to the way I had been. I never would have thought it, but medications for me have been a life-saver.

Louis....your post struck a chord with me.  I stated the same thing to my psychiatrist just last week about "I DID NOT want to go ack the way I had been".  Your statement rang soooo true to me I had to comment on this.  Going through life miserable is NO way to LIVE LIFE! I wish you the best in your situation.  I would be lost without the help of my psychiatrist....literally....being honest and folks may discount the help provided by these folks but I for one, will not belittle their treatment or compassion EVER!

• HadIt.com Elder
.... I would be lost without the help of my psychiatrist....literally....being honest and folks may discount the help provided by these folks but I for one, will not belittle their treatment or compassion EVER!

I am truly grateful that you have a compassionate psychiatrist/ psychologist and team of other caring medical professionals on your side. There are some very good people that are dedicated to doing the best job and provide the best help possible. Unfortunately you may hear some vets report about the apathetic and uncaring, disengaged MHC employees they have encountered. Before your enlistment, and for countless generations, mankind held to the belief that war had no lasting effect on the spirit of those that bore the battle. In the past, uniformed service related stress disorders were considered merely manifestations of personal poor self discipline or cowardice. Some caregivers still hold those feelings. Old soldiers, old stories. I am optimistic for the future, and thankful to this new generation of uniformed service men and women who have bore the pain and sacrifices of today's conflicts. Because of your service, mental health care will continue to rise up and out of the many past medical transgressions you have heard about..

Edited by Commander Bob

I am truly grateful that you have a compassionate psychiatrist/ psychologist and team of other caring medical professionals on your side. There are some very good people that are dedicated to doing the best job and provide the best help possible. Unfortunately you may hear some vets report about the apathetic and uncaring, disengaged MHC employees they have encountered. Before your enlistment, and for countless generations, mankind held to the belief that war had no lasting effect on the spirit of those that bore the battle. In the past, uniformed service related stress disorders were considered merely manifestations of personal poor self discipline or cowardice. Some caregivers still hold those feelings. Old soldiers, old stories. I am optimistic for the future, and thankful to this new generation of uniformed service men and women who have bore the pain and sacrifices of today's conflicts, Because of your service, mental health care will continue to rise up and out of the many past medical transgressions you have heard about..

CommanderBob,

It is a shame that people have had to undergo problems with the mental health community.  When I was commissioned and subsequently went on to flight school...EVERY pilot told me that the "KISS OF DEATH" was to go see the "shrink". WHY?  Because there was a perception that one was 'weak' or 'could not hack it'.  Fortunately, in my experiences, my treatment has been nothing short of completely compassionate and professional.

Every individual is different.  Every sailor, soldier, airman...is different. They may or may not react the same way when presented with certain traumatic experiences over their careers.

I will give an example....when I first experienced 'taking a life' while I was a brand new captain, I did not have any issues with this, as it was what I was 'trained to do'....a wise old gunner pulled me aside after the mission and had a long talk after a few beverages.  He passed on some very poignant thoughts that I have passed on to others.  At the time, it was 'no big deal', but after my first experience with this I began to notice that others on our crew were not as ambivalent to what we had just done.  I had more than one or two thoughts about taking another's life....just reality/honesty....I did not know the individuals, did not want to know them, could care less about them because they were harming/killing people that served for the same reasons I did.  However, some of the people I flew with, were not able to rationalize within themselves the reason for us doing what we were 'trained' to do.  The couple of guys that had persistent issues with what we did continued to have serious issues with it.  One went to the flight doc and was referred to the "shrink" (it was not mental health at the time) and the other did not.  I can only say from personal experiences that the guy that sought help was able to continue on in his career and the other had serious problems many years afterwards.  I credit the help that he received to his ability to continue on with his life....the other, did not do so well afterwards.

I feel that the stigma attached to Mental Health that may have gone on in the past is gone. This is only for the folks that get assistance when needed.  I needed/need the assistance of my psychiatrist (unrelated to combat issues....more intensely personal in my case). The guys that I supervise, as well as my commander, all know (because I felt comfortable enough to tell them) that the Mental Health professionals we have to assist us are there to HELP.  Seeing them in times of need does not have a 'stigma' attached to it as it may have had 20 years ago.  I can only speak from personal experiences....as you stated, others may have had (or continue to have) horrible experiences with a "shrink" or "quack"....but I feel that the help I received/receive has in no way affected my career OR leadership in any way, shape, or fashion.

Thanks for your insightful post....it will probably still take a long time for people to abandon the 'stigma' attached with seeing a mental health professional when needed.  I know that I have helped more than one individual getting the help they needed, hopefully more will do so if warranted!

Mike

• HadIt.com Elder
...I feel that the stigma attached to Mental Health that may have gone on in the past is gone. This is only for the folks that get assistance when needed. I needed/need the assistance of my psychiatrist (unrelated to combat issues....more intensely personal in my case). The guys that I supervise, as well as my commander, all know (because I felt comfortable enough to tell them) that the Mental Health professionals we have to assist us are there to HELP. Seeing them in times of need does not have a 'stigma' attached to it as it may have had 20 years ago...

Mike

Thank you for service, Mike, and thank you for helping those to seek help when needed.. After my military retirement, I served the veterans community for over three decades. Like you, I have helped more than one individual get the help they needed. Your honest and poignant remarks are uplifting to this old soldier. As I stated earlier, I am optimistic about mental health care and it's acceptance in the community and in the military. We have come a long way since Gen. George Patton slapped that poor shell shocked soldier in WWII. Your experience supports my optimism and must certainly encourage any VAMC weary vet, to go back and give it another try. Other than the persistent parking problems, I do see a difference at the VAMC, these days. Of course, I avoid the place, like the plague. ( It's become a PTSD trigger for me to get ten feet from the front doors )...

Also, as you so well said, "Every individual is different. Every sailor, soldier, airman...is different. They may or may not react the same way when presented with certain traumatic experiences over their careers." Like you, I too had the experience of 'taking life'. I served in a light weapons infantry company. I remember stepping over the dead body of a child laying on a dike, in a rice paddy. We all had to walk in single file and we all had to step over that dead boy, or we would have to get our boots wet, by going down and around. I was amazed at the different reactions of the guys as we entered that village that morning. Like you, I began to notice others in our company "were not as ambivalent" as others, to what we had just done. It was all up close and personal and will always be remembered by me. I am pleased to report, I have overcome my youthful experiences, as much as one can. I have a handle on my PTSD, and I have moved forward with the quality of my life.

With the help of this new generation of veterans and health care providers, we will hear more reports like yours Mike, of better health care for the veterans. My most positive thoughts are with you as you retire from the USAF.

Edited by Commander Bob