Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Mental Health Appointment

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

So I had my first Mental Health appointment at the VA. The TBI clinic suggested I go for symptoms of PTSD. It was pretty uneventful and the shrink was cool. She said I have PTSD and suggested counselling. I am being scheduled for individual conselling in the next few weeks. I guess I should do a FOIA in few weeks to see what the Doc put in her report, any other suggestions?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I remember the lengths I went to to avoid going to the VA, and after my life had become so chaotic, that the VA was one of a few remaining options, I finally went because I had become so tired... After they discovered a working medication for me, I was told I needed to apply for a service-connected disability. So I told them that I was not service-connected, because this was after living in a domiciliary, and listening to guy plans how they were going to try and get SC'ed for this or that, even though they didn't have a condition. I did not want to be considered a faker.

So they told me if I was not service-connected, then they were just going to take me off my meds, and I told them that they couldn't do that. I DID NOT want to go back to the way I had been. I never would have thought it, but medications for me have been a life-saver.

Just something to think about, because they may help...

Louis

the Doc asked what I thought about Meds and i told her i want to try the conservative route first because I take to many meds already. She was cool with that, so i just got scheduled for my first session this week.

Except those dang SSRI's (prozac;lexapro;zoloft;paxil;). None of those ever worked for me. Lamictal has been better for bipolar depression and mood stablizer for me.

Meds are almost always a big help for depression.

• HadIt.com Elder
Except those dang SSRI's (prozac;lexapro;zoloft;paxil;)...

Yes, "Meds are almost always a big help for depression". I have seen that many times the meds you mentioned do work, however ( jmho ) I have also observed that sometimes they rob one of a part of their personality.

Edited by Commander Bob

Yeah, on the personality thing I can attest to that seeing people on the SSRI it does make them happy but they are happy doing nothing. Like a happy state state of mind and they always seem to not think clearly. Foggy minded.....mmm, maybe there's a better example...

Yes, "Meds are almost always a big help for depression". I have seen that many times the meds you mentioned do work, however ( jmho ) I have also observed that sometimes they rob one of a part of their personality.