Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Vet Assisted Living And Nursing Home Care

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Can someone please update me, can a disabled veteran with service connected disabilities expect extra benefits for assisted living and nursing home care? if so, is it only for veterans with dependents compensation? or those rate permanent and total.

In civilian terms I think my question would be - do I and my husband need long term care insurance at all? (er, he's much healthier than I!)

Thank you for any thoughts,

Your Hadit'Cowgirl

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bump and added comment: I know some vets IU p&t and others with severe conditons recieve a&a or SMC benefits. But when I read the aid&assistance information, it says pension and 'income based' on needs.

My question, Can a disabled veteran that needs assisted living and/or nursing home care expect VA support and/ or extra benefits? if so, is it only for veterans with dependents compensation? or those rated permanent and total?

In civilian terms I think my question would be - do I and my husband need long term care insurance for this vet at all? (er, he's much healthier than I!)

Thank you for any thoughts,

Your Hadit'Cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA provides long term care if you are at least 70% SC. However, I get Long Term Care for my wife and myself. I just can't bring myself to trust the VA to really place me or my wife in a decent nursing home if we ever need it. If you buy LTC insurance when you are young it is not that expensive. If you wait it is very expensive. Both spouses should have it as LTC can drain you in a hurry. It just depends on what you can afford.

Can only give info from family member recently: Was WWII vet 100% disability.

1) VA has sponsored nursing homes where they pay for all the care room/board/meds and vet gets to keep his VA disability check.

2) However if vet choses a NON-VA sponsored home medicare pays for certain conditions/diagnosis for a limited amount of days if eligible and has med A&B VA sends vet meds and vet is responsible for all costs.

3)Vet has choice of state sponsored home at rate of 1800 per month, and VA sends vets meds.

The social service social worker at the VAMC has the listings of VA sponsored homes in their state.

Other homes are out there but may keep all of vets VA$$ and give them an allowance of $80.00 per month(as of 2003)($50.00 from SS.)

This info is what I am familiar with.

If you have VA sponsored home you/can give to spouse your $ or if both in that home she has to pay for her care. You will get your meds but hers bought by her. SS will help pay for her and if low income them medicaid too. NH are expensive places too. Can run at least $4000.00 up per month in my regional area.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Halos - a good example and as I learn about this stuff, I'll post more too.

Cg'up!