Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting On Intial Descision From The Va

Rate this question

wolverine4949

Question

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for helping speed up the intial descision process. I filed a claim in July 2009, was done all my C&P appts. in Aug 2009, and seperated from active service in Nov 2009. I have called the VA repeatedly and they have told me the best estimate they have in that I might hear something in May 2010. Is this the norm, or is there some other way to go about it? I was enrolled in the Benefits Delivery at Discharge program, and was led to beleive that I would hear something soon after discharge. My rep at the DAV doesn't seem to care either. He just tells me to wait longer. I am about to lose my house in less than 30 days because can't keep a job. Also, as an OEF/OIF veteran, I thought I was entitled to healthcare for 5 years for service-connected injuries. I have tried using this and I get told that if I really need healthcare I should drive to the ER at the closest VAMC, which is 2 hours away. Any Advice? Thanks, from a newcomer to this

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

that is pretty long for the va...i was on the same program and got discharged in nov 08 and had my first check in the middle of december....

as for the oif oef medical thing, its only at the va....u dont have insurance thru them, just free care thru them so if u arent local to one theres no help....

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wolverine,

Contact your VA medical center's Eligibility Office. I would call first, instead of making a trip. Be sure you have your DD-214 or other paperwork handy. They will let you know what benefits you are eligible for.

I got out in 1995 and the VA provided medical care for 12 months after. Sometimes, they will taper off some benefits in a wierd way, like dental.

If you are an Iraq/Afganistan war zone Veteran, I believe they get longer benefits. I remember seeing that on a poster when I was at the VAMC.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Sometimes, they will taper off some benefits in a wierd way, like dental.

I think you only get dental care for the first 90 days after separation.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This link shows special and/or limited benefits:

http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/cover...ialBenefits.asp

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I got ahold of an OIF/OEF patient advocate at the VA. She was amzing. Doesn't have all the power in the world to fix the VA's problems, but has some pull and will actually listen to you. If you are an OIF/OEF veteran contact these people. I have at least got the ball rolling on care for PTSD/ TBI as well as a shoulder issue. And you can have one dental checkup within 90 days of EAS.