Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disturbing Letter From Vamc

Rate this question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Has anyone heard of this program? I received a letter from the James Haly VAMC stating that I have been diagnosed with problems that may affect my memory, or thinking and problem solving abilities. They want me to sign up for this program at thier expense (49.95) per year. In the event that I should wander off or become lost while out of the home that they could help the local police to find me and return me home.

The whole thing that I am affraid of is this a back door way to try to have me declared incompedent or what, to receive this out of a clear blue sky gives me a weird feeling and I am now scared of what they are trying to do to me.

Any help, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I do have some memory problems, like forgetting to take my meds at night and so on, however I have never been lost or wandered away from home. I have been right here in my bunker for over 40 years.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would do it. Although if you have an android phone the same thing can be accomplished. I don't think that they would back door incompetency cause you are forgetful. I believe that issue only comes up when an award is made.

Has anyone heard of this program? I received a letter from the James Haly VAMC stating that I have been diagnosed with problems that may affect my memory, or thinking and problem solving abilities. They want me to sign up for this program at thier expense (49.95) per year. In the event that I should wander off or become lost while out of the home that they could help the local police to find me and return me home.

The whole thing that I am affraid of is this a back door way to try to have me declared incompedent or what, to receive this out of a clear blue sky gives me a weird feeling and I am now scared of what they are trying to do to me.

Yes I do have some memory problems, like forgetting to take my meds at night and so on, however I have never been lost or wandered away from home. I have been right here in my bunker for over 40 years.

Hey John,

How you doin? I have never heard of it, but I think it is an added security for you and your family. I don't see it as a basis for incompetency though. I cannot tell you what you should do but it sounds good.

Take care,

Bergie

While this sounds like a worthwhile service, I would check either with your VSO or your legal representative to determine what if any are the legal inferences or complications.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you should order copies of your medical records to check what tests V.A. has done to try to diagnose these memory problems and if you can afford it get some treatment outside the V.A. Is there any possibility that your memory problems could be caused by an interaction with your medication? What tests has V.A. done to try to diagnose the cause of this memory problem?

• HadIt.com Elder
Hey tanker, iwould not do a thing, ignore the ltr. Later on you can say i dont remember!!! HUM, what can they say??

I would hesitate to give someone that you do not know the advice that you just handed out.

For all that you know, this vet could very well NEED this service.

Please take note that there are several people, each day, in the USofA that "go missing" due to this very problem.

Yes, most of them are "found"...........................but, what if, due to your "opinion" this veteran became one of those that WEREN'T?

just sayin'