Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help

Rate this question

postman56

Question

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident while on active duty 4 years ago. At that time i received injuries to my lower back, neck, both shoulders, left hip area and left leg. I filed a claim for my back condition not understanding that I needed to file for all my injuries. I received 20% rating for my back codition. my MRI at the time stated that I have a herniation disc L4-L5. The award I received was for a Lumbar Strain. My latest (Aug. 8 2009) states that I have a Disc Bulge. When I filed a claim for my neck and shoulders the va stateded that it was residule to my lumbar strain.

They have all the records of treatment that I have received over the years. I had to resubmitt forms to explaine that my shoulder and neck were from the accident. My question will they change the rating for my back condition which is more than a lumbar strain. I have pain in both buttocks and going down my left leg into my feet. Help!

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident while on active duty 4 years ago. At that time i received injuries to my lower back, neck, both shoulders, left hip area and left leg. I filed a claim for my back condition not understanding that I needed to file for all my injuries. I received 20% rating for my back codition. my MRI at the time stated that I have a herniation disc L4-L5. The award I received was for a Lumbar Strain. My latest (Aug. 8 2009) states that I have a Disc Bulge. When I filed a claim for my neck and shoulders the va stateded that it was residule to my lumbar strain.

They have all the records of treatment that I have received over the years. I had to resubmitt forms to explaine that my shoulder and neck were from the accident. My question will they change the rating for my back condition which is more than a lumbar strain. I have pain in both buttocks and going down my left leg into my feet. Help!

That would depend on your medical evidence.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

hop

vperl,

If you want to comment just to comment or because you think it is funny than take it to the social chat area. This vet is asking for help and doesn't need your crap.

JMO,

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

vperl,

If you want to comment just to comment or because you think it is funny than take it to the social chat area. This vet is asking for help and doesn't need your crap.

JMO,

Bergie

thankyou for being yourself

Edited by vperl

One Shot, One Shovel

thankyou for being yourself

Anytime :)

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• In Memoriam

Postman56,

Welcome to Hadit........

I have the same situation. Was granted 20 for low back, but the injuries in upper back were also a main part of the stressors or main injury.

One of the big problems we all have is that DoD service doctors is that they say don't worry about it and that the VA will take care of it when you are out. This could not be further from the truth. It is like pulling your own tooth. You must file your own claims. You must become proactive in your claims, ie. get involved. Try not to become complacent and give up.....

If this upper back injury were part of your injuries, in service, file for them individually to get them service connected. Then you can go for a stab at CUE (Clear and Unmistakable Error) later. Sounds like you were granted Low Back SC (Service Connection). Perhaps the upper back is secondary to the low back condition. If it were a part of the injury there would be an increase.

Vperl just found another way to bump or refresh the comment, with his or her own style, to explain the question of BUMP. This was another way to show concern. I am sure that he was not making light of your situation. Good luck and hang in there.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

"I filed a claim for my neck and shoulders the va stateded that it was residule to my lumbar strain.

They have all the records of treatment that I have received over the years. I had to resubmitt forms to explaine that my shoulder and neck were from the accident. My question will they change the rating for my back condition which is more than a lumbar strain. I have pain in both buttocks and going down my left leg into my feet. Help!"

Have you received a C & P on the residuals (neck and shoulder problems)- and if sio have you asked them for a copy of the results?

"I have pain in both buttocks and going down my left leg into my feet. Help!"

Did you claim this as secondary to the back problem?

"I received 20% rating for my back codition. my MRI at the time stated that I have a herniation disc L4-L5. The award I received was for a Lumbar Strain."

Did the 38 CFR Schedule of ratings they should have referred to in the decision cover this strain in the 20% criteria?

Do you have a vet rep?

"My latest (Aug. 8 2009) states that I have a Disc Bulge"

Was this a denial for the shoulder -neck problems?

Do you get any private medical care?

Have you considered that you might need to obtain an Independent Medical Opinion?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.