Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Approved!

Rate this question

Quibley

Question

Today, I got a call from the office of the MES contracted doctor that gave me my PTSD C&P evaluation. They informed that I will take two tests: the Weshsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV) and the Weshsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS). They said that once I complete the two tests, the Doctor I saw will forward my evaluation to VA. Cool beans.

The lady at the disability determination bureau that has been helping me process my SSDI claim, called me a few days before I had my VA C&P exam and she asked me if it would be okay if I would sign a release so that Social Security could use the VA PTSD evaluation for their decision on my SSDI? She said it would save me an extra trip to one of their own doctors. I agreed. Prior to that, I had a private evaluation done by a clinical psychologist last November. Originally, I had done that for my VA PTSD claim, because I didn't have a current diagnosis for PTSD when I filed my claim last April. She also asked me to sign a release to have that exam/diagnosis sent to social security, too.

Well, at the same time I was on hold for MES, I got a call from Social Security and they informed me that my SSDI claim for PTSD and depression was approved. The lady on the phone had one question for me however, she stated that the private shrink that I saw for my PTSD evaluation last November had some questions as to my ability to handle my own finances. She then asked me if I had been handling my own finances. I stated "yes." She asked me if I had any examples, I said, "well, I get 10% from the VA for tinnitus and I haven't had any problems managing that." (I really didn't know what to say, the only thing I could think of was the VA check since it's my only income) Well, my answer must have been satisfactory because she told that was good enough and that I would be getting a check in few weeks. Cool beans x2.

I guess this means that if and when I receive an award for PTSD I'm going to have some competency issues. Is there anything I can do now to prepare for that?

I wanted all of you to know that before I recently became a member of hadit.com, I had been lurking as a guest for a quite a long time and I have been using a lot of your advice and suggestions for my VA and SSDI claims. I want to say thanks a lot. I currently live in VA homeless housing and this will really help me.

You guys (and gals) are the best.

Thanks again,

Quibley

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Congratulations! :mellow:

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

To Navydoc, Berta, Pete53 and Bonzai, thank you.

Berta, I wasn't aware that I could file for TDIU before a decision had been made? The application asks what service connected disability prevents you from ontaining gainful employment? How can I put down PTSD or TBI if I haven't received a decision yet?

I wanted all of you to know that before I recently became a member of hadit.com, I had been lurking as a guest for a quite a long time and I have been using a lot of your advice and suggestions for my VA and SSDI claims. I want to say thanks a lot. I currently live in VA homeless housing and this will really help me.

You guys (and gals) are the best.

Thanks again,

Quibley

---------------------------

Congrats Quibley! It's good to hear that things are working out for you.

I've been lurking and learning myself! This is a great site for those who want help and want to learn to do things the right way.

CHR49