VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Incontinence (sp)

Rate this question

mrjenks

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Has anyone has this problem and was wondering if my medications might be the cause....I have sleep apnea and DMII and Hypertension......thanks for any info.

mrjenks,

I assume your incontinence is from the bladder? If it is bladder than it can be related to medications, but as Carlie said you should talk to your doctor soon!

Bergie

I gotta tell ya, talking to a doctor about this will be embarrassing, but I guess I should....it happens usually when I either sit down or get up....an on some occassions when I am not doing anything at all...and yes it's urinary.

It could be secondary to the DMII and/or to the meds:

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectr...v11n4/pg241.htm

"Dysfunctions of urination have long been known as a problem associated with diabetes, although the literature on the subject is limited. The neurogenic bladder is more commonly discussed in the literature as an issue related to such chronic conditions and diseases as spinal cord lesions, muscular dystrophy, and multiple sclerosis."

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp08/files4/0831152.txt

"The Board's decision does not rest solely on the VA examiner's opinion that the veteran's incontinence was less likely than not related to service, as this portion of her opinion is not supported by any objective evidence of record in that the record reflects that the veteran is service- connected for a low back disability on his left side, namely a herniated nucleus pulposus, L4-5, post operative, with bilateral nerve root syndrome and fracture of the left ilium. (See Clinical medical Record dated in February 1964). The Board, however, relies on the examiner's finding that the veteran's incontinence is related to his left side back L5-S1 injury in 1981; and, given that the he is service-connected for the left side of his back at the L4-5, the Board concludes that there is a causal relationship between the veteran's service-connected low back disorder and his incontinence. "

Are you SC yet for any of the disabilities you mentioned?

I dont know how they would rate incontinence as secondary but it could possibly be a factor(if a chronic condition) in unemployability claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no reason to be embarrassed. Its a medical condition that can and should be treated and there is not many things that the Doc has not heard before or dealt with. I guess I am lucky cause the Army and playing sports in high school helped me overcome shyness when I was a teenager.

I am pending my rating from the VA at this time. I have already done my C&P and have Sleep Apnea, DMII, Pes Planus and Hypertension for my SC Conditions. I am hoping it doesn't get any worse, cause that would really suck....I have an appt on Friday so I will tell my doc then.