VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Specific Rating Formula For Ptsd - Does It Exist?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I question if diagnosed PTSD (9411) or PTSD (mst) are being properly acknowledged, treated and rated for VA disability.

Is there a specific rating formula for PTSD? PTSD with MST? or is PTSD simply 'covered up' or 'combined' within Mental Health Ratings? For instance I am diagnosed for Depression and PTSD with MST, so I think at minimum I should have two seperate codes. I don't - yet :blink:.

From what I've found there seems to be ONE General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders in CFR 38-4 and all codes are rated under code 9440 Chronic Adjustment Disorder. (*exception Bullimia)

Is there a different way that PTSD is or should be rated soley for itself? Should I have a four digit code showing PTSD - 9411? or is there another code for PTSD (mst)?

Thanks for any feedback,

Cg

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest Cliph

All mental disorders are rated from the same schedule: 0%,10&,30%,50%, 70% and 100%; based upon the severity of the disability, namely its impact on relationships with family, friemds and co-workers.

• HadIt.com Elder

Part of the reason I posted is because I feel like the VA undermines veterans when it comes to PTSD and Military Sexual Trauma and clearly assigning a disability code and correct specific ratings. There is no specific code, there is no specific disability compensation and in my opinion - another way to be swept aside because the diagnosis's are buried in VA medical treatment records. I have read several PTSD reports and surveys lately, all come to the conclusion, PTSD is bad and PTSD (MST) is rampant and veterans deserve disability compensation and care for that. But, considering how the records are, where the records are, if they can be found, physically or media wise - the reports are probably understated and inadequate.

On second thought, when I go the VA for care, the check-in clerk will see me and my records, coded for mental health and I guess I'm ok with that.

One well referenced PTSD report I read was the recent one on VA Watchdog.

jmh 'cowgirl' opinion

• HadIt.com Elder

desertstorm vet I think the term "fake" is over used there are many veterans with PTSD that can NOT substantiate their stressors especially in the attacks assaults sexual or physical the VARO refused to accept my stressor even with the hospital records from the hospital at Fort Wainwright, the VA stated there were NO other records from the MPs or CID available to prove the assault happened, I spent some time and I finally learned that the DA JAG keeps all General Court Martials going back to 1935 and using my name they found the 4 records of the men who went to Leavenworth Prison in 1975 for 15 years for attempted murder and robbery the DRO dropped his objection to my SC for PTSD when he recieved the copies of the court martials eveidence is hard to find and the veterans is the one who has to find it, the government does not expend any energy finding the "truth"

yes there are some frauds but it is NOT a runaway train like many people claim it is

It is my understanding that you can have only one schedular rating for a mental disability.

MST is an event and PTSD is the result. The MST caused the PTSD and the VA is determining that the resulting PTSD is the disabiling condition.

PTSD is general the catch all mental disorder. My husband has about 13 different diagnoses but her is SC'ed only for PTSD, as PTSD is a multi symptom disorder.

There is mental illness and then their are mental disorders, illness usually only one symptom and disoders usually have multiple symptoms.

It is interesting how the regs have changed recently since they have started including Adjustment disorder as a DX.