Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay

Rate this question

halos2

Question

I had appts for one day, called last week and found out 3 days in a row now, so requested lodging, they said ok 1 night...I go to my appts today and to the travel window to get my travel, and the FAT Ugly Old Bit*h tells me you got lodging for tonight no travel pay for you...What if I had an empty gas tank, or no $ to eat on...this old BIT*H always fuc*s with vets $$.

What about meal $$?

So if you get lodging you can't get travel pay for the first day.

I'm gonna ask her if she is a VET tomorrow, if she says no I'm gonna say well the VA needs to hire VETS only for these positions, and I think I will ask how a vet can get your job.

Will I get in trouble if I call her an overweight non-intelligent non-active beiach??

I want to so bad in the am, before my appts I'm going to see the dumb azz.

She is the one who asked if I rode with another vet with the same last name...look at the address beiach!

Is it one or the other? If I got my pay for travel today I could have eaten other than McDonalds. I know I couldn't get it tomorrow too as I was to stay the night.

Will post tomorrow, on this subject, but may get pulled out of VA for telling the fat azz the truth.

How do you find out if one has their file flagged??

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

".so being honest I got 2 nights lodging, and 1 day travel pay paid over 44. dollars for my dog and didn't even cover my gas for round trip and forget my meal costs..."

Ummmmmm not sure how the travel pay didn't pay for your gas round trip because it is way more than the cost of gas per mile that is unless your car does less than 6 miles to a gallon???? VA is not responsible for your dog, and the VA has payed for you to stay in a location other than your home, has paid for you to drive to your appointments, you want then to pay for you to eat too? Yes meals usually should be included but you would normally pay for yourself to eat normally why is it a big deal that the VA doesn't want to pay to feed you as well, they already pay you more for mileage than gas costs, when my husband and I travel to appointments we usually have plenty from travel pay for gas and a meal for both of us....?????

Just remember some people don't get travel pay at all let alone lodging.... Besides if you weren't honest you could be facing all sorts of problem and never get travel pay again, and possibly lose any benefits coming your way.

Sorry...but I just think it seems like it ended well for you. I understand some people are annoyingly frustrating at the VA (believe me I know!) but it's a good benefit and if you think's it's so useless why even ask for it????

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.

The point I was trying to make is many people rip them off, I paid my own lodging for years as they would make my appointments like this when I would request as many as poooible in one day, but anymore they just plug me in. My dog is my obligation, financially, but traveling alone and safety issues, he is my protector day and night. There was a murder at a nearby hotel last yr, so no one is safe, but you have eachother to travel with. The trip is over 3 hrs each way, and I try not to drive at night due to visual acquity with darkness.

was not told by the va of the reembursement until last yr. Don't tell me you will pay me, and change the rules in the middle to suit your convience or else just be mean. If you noted others have documented regulations of what the law says, I just want someone to play by the law at the VAMC at least sometimes.

Your work is your honor, if you lie each day to another vet, or the same vet each day, you are worthless. I never asked to have the disabilities I have, and I suffered with them all these yrs, but now when they have consumed me, and taken away my good health, I play by the rules and laws completely, so I feel others in the health care field and health care service should be expected to follow the same.

I left the military 40 yrs ago and worked many decades with pain and a disabling condition, paying my own care until I could no longer work. For 3 yrs I drove back and forth never accepting travel pay, and with the economy as such, it is no longer a luxury but a necessity I take it. Without knowing the whole story one cannot put themself in anothers position as there are so many variables, not all written here. Nice you have 2 people to attend appts with your spouse. I still have to see my private physician, as have 38 yrs, for my pain medication, both paid for by me, not insurance.

..."but I think it ended well for you"... "if you think's it's so useless why even ask for it?"... Nice all people have their own interpretation on what ends well for one...My opinion differs actually facing it...It is my right to receive travel pay, esp not taking it for yrs. My mileage from home to va to hotel to va to hotel to va and home and personal fees, and meals was NOT covered by the fee received those days...regardless of mileage, no it is not "less than 6 miles to a gallon" but back and forth numerous times plus restaurant trips,"McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc, no refrig/no microwave in rm..."

It is nice the VA pays your husband enough to pay for your meal too, and that you both are are satisfied with that. Average cost of driving a vehicle is alot more than the VA pays because it is not just gas but wear and tear on motor/tires/etc. The rate changed a few yrs ago as was antiquated for 30-40 yrs prior.

The fact remains tell vets the truth to vets each time and stop acting like others have said "acting like it is coming out of their pockets!"

Tell the truth on day one, and stop changing stories daily and be honest and considerate, not lie and and being deceitful!

deltaj, You are the bomb. Thanks a bunch for the regs and info regarding the direct issue of knowledge and fairness, which is what it was all about anyway. :o