Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf And Disability Rating

Rate this question

Bill (USAF Retired)

Question

I know it's not as simple as "a GAF of X gives you a disability rating of Y," but I'm hoping for some educated guesses from my more experienced colleagues.

The GAF is 41. Rating (for psych) is 50%. Now for the Goldilocks question: Is that rating too big, too small, or just right?

Thanks

Bill

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

There is no rhyme or reason anymore on what % you may get with your GAF's. The newest psychologists and psychologists prefer not to use the mental health screening tool with each visit, hense no documentation of GAF's, or DSM coding ie I II III IV X usage. I have asked for over a year to use it...finally the last 2 months it is documented. Has been yrs GAF 40, and now with new documentation 40. Was 30% put in for increase(BTW SSDI since 02), and declared deceased, tried to sever, then finally VA cued self and said should be 50%.

Depends on RO region, raters, and variables unknowm to mankind or womenkind too. Put it for it( claim) don't wait around.

Midwest here have been known to be VERY STINGY with ratings, IMHO, and from at least 6-8 vets have told me too.