Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Schizophrenia

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

how many things from the 100% rating do you have to have to get it, Ive got about three, including disorganized thought process, persistent delusions and hallucinations, and danger to self and others. I currently work, but max i can do is about 4 hours a day, and im constantly getting into trouble, forgetting shit, doing things wrong, not being friendly. I should have my manager write up a letter for me saying how my performance is lacking, but the Va does not know that i work so i figure just not tell them. What do you think, anyone have any experience with schizophrenia claims

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"I did not know that if i had a disease that occurred in time of service, that i am eligible for VA healthcare. The VA told me sorry you don't have the 24 months"

this seems to be more of a problem that the period of service-

"I got an other than honorable discharge,"

An OTH discharge in many cases can be changed and the veteran can become eligible for VA health care.

OTH however- involves a gamit of reasons for this type of discharge.

Has your vet rep supported a claim for a Character of Discharge finding from the VA?

Has he/she started you on the long process to get the discharge upgraded?

"I could have gotten off for the awol because i was mentally incompetent, and JAG refered me for a Medical discharge, but chain of command said i had to fight it in court martial"

Were you hospitalized during the awol?

Do you have documentation to prove the JAG had referred you for medical discharge?

I was hospitalized once,

Jag sent an email to my chain of command, i doubt that email exists, but i will call jag tomorrow, and see if i can get the lawyer to write a letter saying he did recommend me for one

I have started the process to get a discharge upgrade, well see if i get it, if not i will request a hearing. But ive got about 10 months left in the wait

VA told me to file for a claim despite my discharge characterization, said they would make their own. I have not formally asked for a Character of Service Determination, But have wrote many letters stating i was crazy at the time, and told about my previous honorbable seperations. I called a lawyer and they said they were surprised they hadn't denied me yet, said they must be taking into account the letters you wrote. Should i send in a statement of claim requesting a Character of Service Determination, or just wait till i get a determination or decision letter, i dont want to do anything to slow down my claim, as i am super broke right now, and really need the money. I am 24 and live with my mom, thats depressing as shvt. I also stated a claim for anxiety disorder, but am not gonna send anything in anymore, or claim major depression, because you can get only paid for one mental health issue, and i think schizophrenia is my best bet

He served for 8.5 years, Three tours in Vietnam starting at 17 years old.

That's why he wants to go back and try for a medical "retirement" we just found a bunch of records from the national archives center that we previously hadn't recieved. And found letters from his CO's and some other stuff that basically stated he asked for psych help but didn't recieve it, and other things about his performance and that they suspected mental illness, but he was never given a psych evaluation on his REFRAD exams. So this is considered an "injustice" which can be challenged by the records review board for the Army. Even through it goes back a long time, they can always go back, because he was hospitalized three time at VA in Waco, which is one of the reasons they will overturn the time restriction "in the interests of justice".

Just a ntoe: "Medical Retirement" is for servicemen and women who have served at least 8 years, "Medical Discharge" is for servicemen and women that have served less then 8 years, so you would qualify for this no matter how long you spent in and whether or not you were active duty or not, and your service not being 24 months consecutive doesn't really matter either, because of the nature of your disability.

Anyway keep on keeping on Hula, it takes a while but you'll get there!

Hawk :)

How long did your husband serve, thanks for the encouragement!!!!

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.

Hulamatt

Although you have caused your Mom a lot of worry and grief please tell her what you are trying to do. Make your Doctor appointments and take your meds on time

I think that you should also talk to a Social Worker. Did you know that VA assigns every patient a Social Worker. The easiest way to find them is to call the 800 number on your VA Meds when it answers punch 0 and ask operator to connect you to a Social Worker. Whoever answers the phone can help you find you Social Worker.

You also may have access to Social Workers through other ways.

I think that working on your claims will help you.If you can tell us what evidence you are sending in and perhaps you can get some help here.

Good Luck to you some years ago Hadit helped a Sailor who had this problem and he eventually won his claim.

Hawk gave you excellent advice.

What is your 4 hour job and what happens if you miss work?

The evidence i have sent in is progress notes from 2 hospitals, inpatien stays over 20 days, one for danger to myself, one for danger to others. I also spent about 6 days inpatient in an Army hospital, been trying to get those records for 6 months. I dont think the Va has done this on their own because when i got my VCAA It wasn't listed. So im trying, also have sent in witness letters from my dad sister brother, stating i was a model soldier and student before my last period of active duty, and i was just off the deep end, also stating that my condition still exists. thanks for the advice with the social worker i will call tomorrow

He served for 8.5 years, Three tours in Vietnam starting at 17 years old.

That's why he wants to go back and try for a medical "retirement" we just found a bunch of records from the national archives center that we previously hadn't recieved. And found letters from his CO's and some other stuff that basically stated he asked for psych help but didn't recieve it, and other things about his performance and that they suspected mental illness, but he was never given a psych evaluation on his REFRAD exams. So this is considered an "injustice" which can be challenged by the records review board for the Army. Even through it goes back a long time, they can always go back, because he was hospitalized three time at VA in Waco, which is one of the reasons they will overturn the time restriction "in the interests of justice".

Just a ntoe: "Medical Retirement" is for servicemen and women who have served at least 8 years, "Medical Discharge" is for servicemen and women that have served less then 8 years, so you would qualify for this no matter how long you spent in and whether or not you were active duty or not, and your service not being 24 months consecutive doesn't really matter either, because of the nature of your disability.

Anyway keep on keeping on Hula, it takes a while but you'll get there!

Hawk :)

Thanks hawk youve been really helpful

• HadIt.com Elder

It does not sound to me like the VA has determined officially that you do not have benefits. Has the VA officially determined that you have a “bar to benefits” due to your discharge. They are probably temporarily limiting your access to benefits until they make a determination if you have a bar to benefits. I think this would be the first determination they would make. Check out the website below on Bar to benefits.

http://warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part3/subptv/ch01/ch01_secb.doc.

You will need to copy and paste the above line into the URL bar.

As far as getting the discharged changed check out this website. During the exit process the law is often misapplied. I know of several veterans who have had problems during the discharge process.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/military-law-92/very-usefull-army-awol-info-391473.html

Edited by Hoppy

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

It does not sound to me like the VA has determined officially that you do not have benefits. Has the VA officially determined that you have a "bar to benefits" due to your discharge. They are probably temporarily limiting your access to benefits until they make a determination if you have a bar to benefits. I think this would be the first determination they would make. Check out the website below on Bar to benefits.

http://warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part3/subptv/ch01/ch01_secb.doc.

You will need to copy and paste the above line into the URL bar.

As far as getting the discharged changed check out this website. During the exit process the law is often misapplied. I know of several veterans who have had problems during the discharge process.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/military-law-92/very-usefull-army-awol-info-391473.html

They told me no healthcare, until i get my stuff service connected. I haven't been barred, yet. I am just waiting on my initial decision, so well see what i get, called a lawyer they told me they couldn't represent me till i got a decision, how long does an initial decision usually take, its been 4 months