Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Schizophrenia

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

how many things from the 100% rating do you have to have to get it, Ive got about three, including disorganized thought process, persistent delusions and hallucinations, and danger to self and others. I currently work, but max i can do is about 4 hours a day, and im constantly getting into trouble, forgetting shit, doing things wrong, not being friendly. I should have my manager write up a letter for me saying how my performance is lacking, but the Va does not know that i work so i figure just not tell them. What do you think, anyone have any experience with schizophrenia claims

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Hulamatt now I have a better idea. First of all sorry that you have this but if you take your meds and do what the Doc's tell you your life will be a lot better. From what you have stated if your illness started when you were in the Military and this should be enough.

I think that you will win your claim but my suggestion is to find someone like a Service Officer to help you.

One last question do you live with someone like family or a group setting?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have experience with schizophrenia claims. If the military DX'ed you with schizophrenia what kind of discharge did you get? How long were you in the service? Did the military say you had a pre-existing condition? If you had a break down in the service you should be able to get SC'ed. I would file the claim and include every record of hospitalizations and medical treatment. You should not be working if you want 100% from the VA for schizophrenia. Were you given anti-psychotic meds in service and do you still take them now? You might want to consult a veteran's attorney who can help you out with this. Disorganized thinking won't help you win your claim.

I have experience with schizophrenia claims. If the military DX'ed you with schizophrenia what kind of discharge did you get? How long were you in the service? Did the military say you had a pre-existing condition? If you had a break down in the service you should be able to get SC'ed. I would file the claim and include every record of hospitalizations and medical treatment. You should not be working if you want 100% from the VA for schizophrenia. Were you given anti-psychotic meds in service and do you still take them now? You might want to consult a veteran's attorney who can help you out with this. Disorganized thinking won't help you win your claim.

I got an other than honorable discharge, I was so crazy and involved in my delusions i went awol, i believed that i was given LSd and put through a bunch of experiments, and thought that i had to go back to basic training to do it again. I could have gotten off for the awol because i was mentally incompetent, and JAG refered me for a Medical discharge, but chain of command said i had to fight it in court martial, i was still crazy at the time, and not in my right state of mind. So i didn't think i had a chance, even though i was diagnosed after going awol. So i took the chapter ten in lieu of trial by court martial. I wish i would have fought it, because i would have won, and then been medically discharge, but this is not the way it happened I served a year and some change in the Hawaii Army National Guard. About 7-8 months in the Reserves and over a year active duty. Military never said i had a pre existing condition, I sent in my paperwork from meps stating that i had never been to a hospital and never saw a doctor for any condition. I am debating quitting, i just have to get someone to support me till my decision comes. I was given Anti psychotics and currently still take them, they keep me sane, I was way far out there. but psychosis hits me about once a month, if not twice. And that basically means im psychotic. Delusions hallucinations, unable to tell reality from fiction, thinking dogs can hear my thoughts, really bad. And then i get homicidal episodes. This happens about once a month, and i need to be hospitalized for a good day till they go away. But i dont because the VA told me i was not eligble. Those are just episodes i have, i also have suicidal ideation, for a good part of the day. Sucks but i deal with it. I cannot find a lawyer who will take my case. Either they don't know the law, or they tell me my case is the best theyve heard in weeks, but to call if i dont get the decision i want. I just want someone to look over my evidence, and help me out. My VSO at the DAV is incompetent, tells me to stop sending in evidence and wait for a decision. Has not written anything for me , nor reviewed my files or case. So i do everything on my own. Anyone know any good VA lawyers, in chicago

"Basic Eligibility

A person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable may qualify for VA health care benefits. Reservists and National Guard members may also qualify for VA health care benefits if they were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a Federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty.

Minimum Duty Requirements: Veterans who enlisted after Sept. 7, 1980, or who entered active duty after Oct. 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to veterans discharged for hardship, early out or a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty."

It seems that you have a disability that 'incurred' or was aggravated by service.

Can you explain this:

"Although i have 3 years, they were not contiuous for 24 months. So i see a private doctor. they have got me on resperidone, paxil, zanax and saphris."

Did your condition cause a discontinuation of service?

Or did you mean NG duty and then regular military?

You stated:

"Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied,"

Why were you denied and did you appeal that and get a lawyer Since i got out, i started on my social security case, but i was denied, ?

"I was diagnosed by a private physician and the VA while on active duty"

Was your discharge based on disability?

Did you formally apply for VA disability benefits?

Schizophrenia can be service connected.One of the first vets who welcomed me here to hadit was 100% SC for schizophrena.The establishment of service connection and the rating they give all depends on the medical evidence.

A Social Security award can often help to prove that-once service connection has been established-if the SSA award is solely for the same disability-- the SSA award can be used to help VA award TDIU.

SSA denials should always be appealed within the denial time frame.

I am confused here as to how the VA diagnosed you but yet they said you were not eligible for medical care?

Did anyone help you file a claim at that time?

"Also can i get my doc to say that my schizophrenia is due to military service being that i had no signs of it before, or is taht a stretch "

Not a stretch at all- the private doctor wou;ld need to refer to your SMRs and current medical records and to use the IMO criteria here under the IMO forum and state t is as likely as not -or more than likely your schizophrenia began during your service.

He or she would have to state medical rationale -by referring to your SMRs and all available medical records-that the schizophrena began in service,and remains a current condition.

I have appealed my social security decision, and have gotten a lawyer, he doesn't seem that competent, but bender and bender wanted a note from the doctor saying that i could not work for 12 months. The doctor said in her letter she wrote for me that i have sever social and occupational disfunction. But not that i couldn't or shouldn't work

I sent in a VA disability claim in December. Currently i have 2 inpatient hospital stays over 19 days that are on record, and im trying to get another inpatient stay on record, but im still waiting on mental health records from Martin Army Community hospital, ive been given the run around the last 4 months, that they can't give out mental health records, call the patient advocate and they say they can, lossed paperwork etc. THey told me they mailed it out hopefully i will get it within the next 2 days

I did not know that if i had a disease that occurred in time of service, that i am eligible for VA healthcare. The VA told me sorry you don't have the 24 months. I said listen i have schizophrenia that i got while in the army on active duty, they said file a disability claim, so to my understanding, i am not eligible for VA healthcare, until it is determined that my disability is service connected

Thanks Hulamatt now I have a better idea. First of all sorry that you have this but if you take your meds and do what the Doc's tell you your life will be a lot better. From what you have stated if your illness started when you were in the Military and this should be enough.

I think that you will win your claim but my suggestion is to find someone like a Service Officer to help you.

One last question do you live with someone like family or a group setting?

I live with my mom, i have put her through torture for everything ive been through, hospital stays, cops coming and taking me away to the hospital. Just something i never wish i had done to her, but theres nothing i can do.

hey hula,

My husband has PTSD 100% sc'ed and has been hospitalized for that, no not schizophrenia but sometimes it can seem that way, especially when he is in flashback mode.

Well I think you need a lawyer for the Social Security claim. With a lawyer and documented evidence of your hospitalizations it should be o.k.

As for the VA, and the work situation. Working only 4 hours a day won't bring in a lot of money right! And I for one don't really consider a maximum of 4 hours a day substantial or gainful employment which is what the VA is looking for when it comes to mental health. When evaluating my husband 100% SC for PTSD was rated the same way all mental disorders are rated, he got it based on only one of the criteria. His inability to gain or maintain substantial or gainful employment. 4 hours a day is considered part time work only, and not gainful, so don't give up on the VA.

You need to get a copy of your medical records from service (every branch you served on) you then need to take down the medical examination that was done when you were discharged to the VA and speak to the patient advocate pointing out the disabilities you gained while in service and get them to help you register for health care, they my require you to wait until you establish service connection for these or until you get an upgraded discharge before you can enroll.

You also need to find a lawyer to get your discharge upgraded. Contrary to popular belief the discharge is never automatically upgraded. My husband was also discharged for going AWOL due to his mental disorders and also got a chapter ten, he got this upgrade to a general discharge qualifying him for all sorts of things with VA and is now thinking about getting it upgraded again to medical retirement because he has just found a bunch of lost records that can help him with that that show discrepancies about the process followed when they discharged him. Did you get referred for a separate psych evaluation when you went through you medical evaluation board process?, or did they just give you a discharge physical?? If you didn't get a separate psych evaluation then they didn't follow correct procedure, especially when you had been diagnosed with schizophrenia! if you can prove this via the lack of this in your discharge medical records and discharge papers then you can applying for an upgrade to medical discharge!

National Veterans Legal Services Program, http://www.nvlsp.org/ or there sister site http://www.lawyersservingwarriors.com/ or even swords to plowshares at http://www.swords-to-plowshares.org can help provide returning veterans with free legal services, and should be able to help you out. If they can't they will most likely refer you to someone who can.

Get your discharge upgraded, appeal you Social security claim, and get enrolled for health care and meds, this will make your life a lot easier, and if you have to work! then work and do the best you can.

Good luck Hula

Hawk

I live with my mom, i have put her through torture for everything ive been through, hospital stays, cops coming and taking me away to the hospital. Just something i never wish i had done to her, but theres nothing i can do.
Edited by hawkfire27