Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Math - Determining Your Rating

Rate this question

Sgt Will Dove USMC

Question

I was recently moved from 60% to 90% SC disabled. I asked the rater how they determine this when I have 7 disablities with the following ratings.

50%

30%

30%

20%

20%

10%

10%

looks like is should be 170% to me! :lol:

well he explained that the VA does not simply add them together and get a number. it is basically 50% of 100, and then 30% of whats left, and then 30% of whats left after that, and so on down the line.

They start with 100 points and subtract the 50% from that (50 points)... then they take the 50 points and subtract 30% (15 points), then they take the 35 and subtract the 30% (10.5 points)........

To make is easy I created a spreadsheet that calculates upto 30 disabilites for you.

The form is hosting on my company webserver, as I am not sure I can add the file here. Please feel free to download and use the file as needed.

Vet Assist - VA Math

• HadIt.com Elder

and to get from 90 to 100 you will now need a new 50% award half of the 10% that is left that last 10% is the hardest 10% to ever get but you should have a great TDIU claim :lol: it still pays at the 100% rate

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sgt Dove,

If you are curious about the math, you can use Hadit's SC calculator:

http://www.hadit.com/service_connected_dis..._calculator.php

I plugged in your numbers and it said you have a rating of 85.888%, which the VA rounds up to 90%.

Testvet and to get from 90 to 100 you will now need a new 50% award half of the 10% that is left that last 10% is the hardest 10% to ever get but you should have a great TDIU claim :lol: it still pays at the 100% rate

To make it plain he would need a new award of 60% to be awarded 100% schedular

Edited by pacmanx1

I was recently moved from 60% to 90% SC disabled. I asked the rater how they determine this when I have 7 disablities with the following ratings.

50%

30%

30%

20%

20%

10%

10%

looks like is should be 170% to me! :lol:

well he explained that the VA does not simply add them together and get a number. it is basically 50% of 100, and then 30% of whats left, and then 30% of whats left after that, and so on down the line.

They start with 100 points and subtract the 50% from that (50 points)... then they take the 50 points and subtract 30% (15 points), then they take the 35 and subtract the 30% (10.5 points)........

To make is easy I created a spreadsheet that calculates upto 30 disabilites for you.

The form is hosting on my company webserver, as I am not sure I can add the file here. Please feel free to download and use the file as needed.

Vet Assist - VA Math

Sarge...As usual the VA can't do anything right

GARY

I located a bilateral calculator (works for bilateral or non-bilateral)on another site that does a pretty decent job. I did a little experimenting with it and it was correct until I hit the higher levels. Once I got to 94% and added the appropriate amount to take me to 95% it kept me at 94%. In the end, it's best to go to the regulations and use their chart to double check. Calculators are fun to mess with though.