Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To All Of This

Rate this question

Bubblehead

Question

Hello everyone, Bit about myself I served in the USN Submarine Force (Bubblehead) and was discharged from the service back in April of '05. Just yesterday I finnally got the long awaited as well as dreaded response back on my Service Connected Disability claim, which awarded me with a suprising 100% Direct Service Connected disability for Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I Wish I could say that I am relieved by the Service Connection, but I am all too well aware that it has all only just begun. I have no idea of what to do next, when/how I will get my DD-214 corrected, if I should/can keep my present job, etc. so any good advice would be most welcomed.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Bubblehead,

Welcome to Hadit.

I am moving this topic to Claims/Benefits Research.

carlie

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in 9520 9521

thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappro- priate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform ac- tivities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name .......... 100

• HadIt.com Elder

normally to get a 100% schedular rating for a mental health issue a veteran is usually NOT employed that is between you and your VSO and the IRS will inform the VA you are getting a paycheck annually they cross check the lists is your job worth losing the 100% rating over? That is something only you can decide also it depends on the job is it a family owned business and is someone aiding you in doing your work etc, there are a lot of rules that come into play however if you are now 100% SC from the VA you should be able to file a claim for SSD and get that benefit along with the VA benefit and that should negate your "need" to work. You have to decide what your mind and body can handle and what is best for you, we all are different some of us wish we could return to work and others push going back to work and then regret it later both fiscally and physically if you are not retired then the 100% allows you to get a new military ID card for benefits of using the military base facilities like dependents get one of the tan cards they put your old rank and DAV on it yours should state indef on it and if you are mariied the spouses expire every 4 years some states have great tax breaks on cars and houses also that you should check into that 100% is a brand new world

Thank you for the welcomes and advice thus far, in Particular Testvet. As for my job beign worth keeping over the 100% rating? Not a chance, I'm a Security Guard. So I would imagine that is one stress handled, I'll take my saved up vacation, then quit.

Sounds like my next step would be to apply for SSD, probably once I have left my job. Seeing as I was Honorably Discharged for a "Personality Disorder" which I imagine is they're original way of saying "you've gone off the mental deep end, but we dont want it to look like we were to blame" I should then also see about getting a new military ID card.

Still the pressing questions for me right now would then be, how would I get my DD-214 corrected so I can get mental help from the VA? Will that automatically be updated as they send me the backpay for my claim or do I need to request it from somewhere? And where do I start in acquiring the new Military ID Card, what will I need? Should I ask my VFW rep or should I maybe go check out DAV like I hear so largely reccomended?

And Carlie, I appreciate that Rating Formula for Mental Disorders as it made a suprising amount of sense, most of those things listed appl, most meaning almost all if not all.

Seeing as I was Honorably Discharged for a "Personality Disorder" which I imagine is they're original way of saying "you've gone off the mental deep end, but we dont want it to look like we were to blame"

Still the pressing questions for me right now would then be, how would I get my DD-214 corrected so I can get mental help from the VA?

Bubblehead,

What happened ?

You were discharged for PD - and then what - did the VBA do a change in diagnosis to SC under Paranoid Schizophrenia ?

You don't need to get your DD214 changed in order to receive any and all medical care to include MH from

your VAMC as you are SC'd at over 50 percent.

carlie