Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Anwser Will Do.

Rate this question

mac mcqueen

Question

I recieved paperwork from the Regional office and stated we have made a decision so on and so forth. It was for deffered items dating back to March 1 2008. I was rated at 70% back then and with the deffered items now rated I am 80%. They also threw in EDD back from the same date. All this came in the mail and it was stamped April 8 2010. I was shocked that the money haded already arrived because usually I have always gotton the money befor the award letter. Now I know it probably needed the third signature because it's in excess of a certian amount, but now it's the 26th and still nothing so I called the VSO and she sent me an e-mail that she recieved after an inquiry and it stated, "EP 930 with DOC 2-26-2008 is pending authorization, looks like the award is complete. Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I was out a couple of days. "

Now I understand and I am impatient, but does anyone know what it means pending authorization? I thought that I had already been authorized because I recieved the letter. What other steps doesn's this need to go through. I have creditors I love to get paid. I know stop winning and just go fishing, but if anyone has any ideas let me know. I would have asked the VSO, but she had to go to court and can't get back to her untill tommrow. Thanks Mac

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations! Did the decision paperwork state the amount or as of dates? Not trying to be funny, just double checking. I suspect you'll hear somethng in the next few weeks.

Best to ya,

Cg

I recieved paperwork from the Regional office and stated we have made a decision so on and so forth. It was for deffered items dating back to March 1 2008. I was rated at 70% back then and with the deffered items now rated I am 80%. They also threw in EDD back from the same date. All this came in the mail and it was stamped April 8 2010. I was shocked that the money haded already arrived because usually I have always gotton the money befor the award letter. Now I know it probably needed the third signature because it's in excess of a certian amount, but now it's the 26th and still nothing so I called the VSO and she sent me an e-mail that she recieved after an inquiry and it stated, "EP 930 with DOC 2-26-2008 is pending authorization, looks like the award is complete. Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I was out a couple of days. "

Now I understand and I am impatient, but does anyone know what it means pending authorization? I thought that I had already been authorized because I recieved the letter. What other steps doesn's this need to go through. I have creditors I love to get paid. I know stop winning and just go fishing, but if anyone has any ideas let me know. I would have asked the VSO, but she had to go to court and can't get back to her untill tommrow. Thanks Mac

• HadIt.com Elder

EP 010 or 110 are for original claims. EP 020 is for subsequent claims. (This is a gross oversimplification- EP stands for "end product". Think of an "EP" as a "particular claim" that goes in your claim file, and over the course of your life, you may file many claims, each of which has to be tracked). When a claim is rated in full, the EP is cleared. If some stuff is granted and other stuff is deferred (perhaps it needs an examination or some other development wasn't complete), the Post Team is supposed to "interim the EP" and keep it running, so that when the examination/medical opinion or whatever caused an issue to be deferred finally comes in, the case can be rated and the EP closed out, and the station gets to take credit for station production.

Sometimes, though, the EP gets cleared, just as if the whole claim was decided, and the station gets credit. Maybe somebody make a mistake and accidently cleared the EP when they authorized the first part of your rating (the non-deferred issues). Maybe that particular claim (date of claim was February 26, 2008) was over one year old, and they wanted it off the books as a 1 year old claim, which makes your station's numbers look better to upper management. For whatever reason, the EP was cleared, and to associate those deferred issues with a claim, an EP 930 may have been created (that's what EP 930 is for... the station doesn't get credit for working it, but the rater at least gets credit for working it).

So, either they mistakenly or on purpose took credit for completing your claim when it still had a couple of deferred issues, but those issues have now been decided and it's just waiting on the Post team again to finish promulgating the rating, and you'll just have to be patient. That's one likely scenario, I suppose other things are possible, but that is my guess. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The end of the month is near, and all the teams have quotas to meet, including getting ratings promulgated.

I think what JB just said is kind of a scary look inside the VA system. (teams have quotas to meet), (the station gets to take credit for station production), (So, either they mistakenly or on purpose took credit for completing your claim when it still had a couple of deferred issues) ?????

I guess I mistakenly thought WE were Disabled Veterans that should be handled with CARE?

David

• HadIt.com Elder
I think what JB just said is kind of a scary look inside the VA system. (teams have quotas to meet), (the station gets to take credit for station production), (So, either they mistakenly or on purpose took credit for completing your claim when it still had a couple of deferred issues) ?????

I guess I mistakenly thought WE were Disabled Veterans that should be handled with CARE?

David

You should be handled with care, and for the most part, I believe veterans claims are handled with care. The scenario I described is an "accounting" or "policy" issue that exists apart from the adjudication process and has no bearing on what the decision is or when the decision is made. For what that's worth.

As for quotas, everyone has to have goals.

• HadIt.com Elder

Excellent post on EP for McQueen and others, including my rusty brain, thanks James.

Dsgsr - The VA has three main arms to 'handle' us vets, Veterans Benefits Administration - handles Compensation (CLAIMS), Education, Home Loan Guaranty by a VA Regional Office Veterans Health Administration –handles Regional VA Medical Centers, Ambulatory Care, Community Based Outpatient Clinics, etc.–and National Cemetery Administration -handles our dignity.

Best to ya Mac McQueen,

Cg

David

Dsgsr