Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated As Unable To Manage My Va Comp

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

OK,,I'm Gary..I must say the talent here is awesome

I don't post much but have hadit E mailed to me every day so I try to keep up with what is going on

OK heres my question

The VA ruled I couldn't take care of my VA Comp so I hade to appoint a Fudicary which is my Wife who I have been married to over 40 years

Now I have been told I muust have a checking acct just for my VA Comp & only my Wife can write a check out of it

Which sounds reasonable I suppose

But, heres the tricky part

No debit card for anyone which means a check has to be written for every single thing that is bought

This is not the age of checks as every thing is electronic & besides writing a check for every thing one buys causes a lot of problems

If one writes a check every time then one has to go thru the process of showing ID & getting the check approved ( I think thats how it works) this is going to cause a lot of hardships as neither my wife or I drive & a lot of times we have one of our kids pick up stuff we need when they are out

Now, if they were to try & purchase something with a pre signed check I believe this is where the hassle starts

& I think it may even be turned down as most people use debit cards ( Which we have been doing &/or credit cards)

Buys thru the Internet is done as I would have to send a Check signed by my wife to get said item

Also, the VA Person we have been talking to has said " receipts for every transaction are not needed but if they are asked for it would be best if we have them

He also said this is a new situp the VA is sitting up

Has anyone run into this & is there any way around this ?

The Acct is sit up as my Wife as a federal Fudicary for my VA Comp

With out a Debit &/or Credit Card lfe would get a bit complicated.. Also, with this type of acct there are no debit cards to be sit up

Any help in this matter greatly appreciated

GARY

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

You could always have your wife buy American Express travellers checks, or....

Pretty simple solution: Pre-paid card

1. Go to your favorite store (Wal-mart, Target, Publix, Kroger, K-mart, etc...)

2. Your wife writes a check (or brings cash) and buys a pre-paid Visa card or a pre-paid store card.

Your wife will still retain the ability to 'manage' how much money she gives you.

Pre-paid Visa cards are usable anywhere, but usually there is a very small fee to purchase the card, usually a few dollars.

Pre-paid store cards are only usable at the store where you buy them.

You can never go over your limit, like a credit card. It's just like plastic cash.

Some of the cards can even be reloaded.

Be sure to keep track of the current balance. You can go to a bank and ask for a checkbook register. 95% of banks will give you one for free. Just track the balance using the register.

Be sure to secure the card when it is not in use. If it gets lost or stolen, you are out of luck.

It sounds like Vync offered you some very good solutions. For one, be very glad they made your wife of 40 years the fiduciary, but you may need to think of who to appoint as fiduciary if your wife pre-deceases you. What ever you do, dont let the Va appoint you a fiduciary..from the horror stories I have heard the fiduciary that "manages" your finances, if appointed by the VA, will be a company owned by the Secretary of the VA, and large amounts of your money will evaporate. Your doctor probably said something about you not being able to manage your finances. If you want to appeal that, then you might just check and see which doc said it, and possibly get an IMO refuting the docs statement. If management of my money were taken away from me, I would probably fight it, but it doesnt sound TOO awful bad having your wife do it, since many men, some of which are not great with numbers, have their wife manage their money anyway. I have met several who benefited greatly by turning it over to their wife. Of course, the other way is sometimes true, too, that the husband is a much better money manager than the wife. It would appear to make sense to me to have the better money manager of the two do the money management, regardless of whether they were male or female. If you think your wife would do a better job, then talk to her and tell her you want a "prepaid" Visa card with spending money, every month, probably along with cash. Then let her write all the checks for the bills. As long as your spending money wasnt way too little, then that might not be too bad of a way to go.