Which To Choose Dro Or The Traditional Appeal Process

Rate this question

3 years to retire

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi 3 years(lucky uou). In personal experience the DRO has been quite effective for me as it allows you to go toe to toe with a person that has the authority to make a decision yea or nay. It is cumbersome in that you have to goto the VA RO, at least in my case, and consult with your chosen representativie, DAV was mine. That happens about 30 minutes before the hearing, but if your rep is diligent they should be up on your file and have a game plan ready. In my opinion you should have your own game plan and try to negotiate the objectives and means.

It was my understanding you could always pursue the appeal process if you do not agree with the DRO result. Please someone correct me if this is not correct.

• HadIt.com Elder
We have had a request for service connection denied by the Va. We have file our appeal (written disagreement-nod)

The Va has mailed us back requesting us to pick between a DRO or Traditional Appeal process.

Does anyone have a opinion on which process to use?

Thanks

I chose the DRO process. It could take a year till your case is reviewed there at your Regional Office. I have been waiting almost 13 months for word back on my appeal... However , you can still request a BVA hearing, if you are not satisfied with the DRO results.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful conclusion.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

DRO is the way to go. It gives one more chance for another person to look at your claim and maybe approve it. I got mine approved at the DRO level, but I have also won it at the BVA. (The VA loves to make things more complicated than they are..I have had 6 RO decisions, plus 4 DRO's and one BVA, when one good decision should suffice.) You also need to decide whether or not to have a hearing. A DRO hearing takes longer than a DRO review. Some people say the extra time for the hearing is worth it, in part, because you can make sure they have all your evidence. The VA loves to send in your appeal missing half of your evidence, so it will get denied again.

As you can see, DRO is the way to go. Not only do you get another look before the BVA, but it shows that you attempted to settle your claim at the lower level. It may also avoid remand back to RO for DRO review. I did not request in person review and regret it as the DRO at Houston just rubber stamped my claim and I had to appeal anyway. If you are close to the VARO, in person is best. JMHO

s/ Mags

We kept our promise and served honorably. Now it is time for the VA to keep their's!

I am not an attorney or VSO and offer my opinions free of charge. Any advice I provide in my posts is from experiences I have had with the VA or I have the knowledge that others have encoutered. I accept no liability for this advice should you chose to follow it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you have to ask for a Personal Hearing with a DRO. This is your best bet before you go off to the BVA to wait for 2-3 years. If you have good evidence you can win your claim at the VARO.