Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Welcome Worn Out At Varo

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry in advance for spelling I can't cut and past in this forum. Many people state the VA is out to get them and people think they are nuts. I am a realist and know the VA seems to be for the most part againist all of us. I have worn out my welcome at my VARO. I am seriously considering moving to another state because of the BS.

I do admit at times they have given me some good things. Then again my evidence is so strong I guess they need to make it look like they are not totally againist me. Here is the latest:

In March of 2009 after a failed 3 level fusion in my back I recieved TDIU. One would say finally! Believe me I understand that getting TDIU was a blessing and I'd be screwed without it because I can't work. Always strings attached with me. The VARO rated me P&T and gave me total + 60% based on the fact I have 10 service connections (I'm 90% by schedule) and I worked until I just could not sit or stand for the day anymore. My service officer calls me with the news. I was overjoyed. Not only did I finally not have to appeal something I was getting an extra $300 or so and of course medical for my wife and small children. I feel guilty all the time because I feel like I'm not a real dad or husband based on all I can't do.

Here comes the kicker. I finally recieve the true paperwork on my decision. No P&T, no SMC (s). I call my SO and ask him what is going on. He looks at his paperwork and says it shows P&T and SMC (s). He says let me go up and talk to the VARO manager. The VARO manager tells him after the rating board reviewed my case they decided my 13 year two failed surgery back could possibly get better so they took away P&T and I don't rate SMC because I am TDIU and not a single 100%. Then my SO says he has had this back injury for 13 years, he done over 10 nerve blocks, he has muscle wasting and atrophy of all the muscle groups in his legs, he has had two surgeries that failed including the latest L3-S1 fusion, he is rated 50% for mental and 30% for asthma in addtiona to the 50% back and all the other service connections. My SO says well we are going to appeal this. The DRO (sorry it was a DRO not a manager) tells my SO I'm going to have to deny it because I have to deal with the raters everyday. If I rate againist them there will be trouble.

So I appeal anyway and ask for P&T and an explanation of why they cannot award it if they deny me again, I ask for A&A because of all the drugs I am on and the problems they cause, I also ask for SMC (s) back (terminated after the temp 100% for the surgery) based on the CAVC's decision in Bradley vs Peake which stated if a Veteran has TDIU and a service connection can cause TDIU (my back) and has other service connections totaling 60% or more and are seperate and distinct from the TDIU aliment (mental and asthma 50% + 30%). So I submit all my evidence and get scheduled for an A&A exam. The results were suprising favorable. The APRN stating that I needed 24/7 supervision from my wife to protect me from the hazards of my environment based on extremly large doses of narcartics and tranqilizers. She also stated that the Veteran is housebound and only leaves the hosue for medical appointments based on his severe pain and panic attacks. She further went on to say that my back caused moderate to severe functional impairment (my TDIU exam in 2009 stated mild to moderate impairment).

Seems like a lock for A&A and SMC (s). I get my decision yesterday. It did not address P&T at all. It just regeritated my temp 100% rating for my surgery. It denied my SMC (s) stating my TDIU was based on multiple service connections. I guess they never heard of bradley vs peake or took the time to look it up after I pointed them to it. The biggest hit of all was they did not address my filing for A&A. The A&A exam / housebound stated right in it I needed 24/7 supervision.

I believe I have worn out my welcome at my VARO. I have gone from 10% in 96 to 90% in 2008 and then TDIU in 2009. I appeal items that I feel based on VA law that I deserve. I was told several times by VARO employees that my case file is so big no one wants to work on it.

Now the final kicker. I have had 4 SCs on appeal since 2000. An intial 20% rating for my back, a 10% rating for a broken right foot with Pes Cavus and ankle equinus, a broken left foot with Pes Cavus and ankle equinus, and a 0% chronic right testicle pain. These issue took 7 years to leave the VARO before going to the BVA. The BVA ignored a ton of evidence and denied me on all issues, although they did give me 10% for lower extremity weakness from my back which is in both legs. At minimum they could have given me 10% for each as they are supposed to. Then finally in December 2009 I get a joint remand at the CAVC on all issues stating my exams were inadaute and they buried a ton of evidence that was never considered. So my file makes it back to the VARO in Feburary and guess what? There are instructions in my folder to do something but since the VARO hasn't even opened my folder (straight out of a reps mouth in person at the VARO) I have no idea where my case stands.

Now my newest denials will head to the BVA where I'm sure they will be denied. My wife hopes I live long enough to collect the back pay.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If I went into more detail I would be banned for being a conspiracy nut. Just google "Glenn McBride Menstrual Disorder" to see the general outline of my situation. If anyone is a glutton for punishment, email me at glennmcbride@gmail.com and check out my new webpage www.veteransoutreach.info but be warned its only been up for a few days.

• HadIt.com Elder
If I went into more detail I would be banned for being a conspiracy nut. Just google "Glenn McBride Menstrual Disorder" ...

Well Glenn, I have googled every link you have and / or mentioned, and have read all your posts, here at Hadit....

You have my sympathies. and I think you have demonstrated to the world that the VA messed up your VCAA letter, as well as your claim... I can't say that I am surprised. As a combat wounded vet, I have a lot of VA mistakes that I am trying to resolve too. You are not alone, or unique.

However, you are kinda hijacking 'dav-marine72's Topic thread, here.

I suggest you start your own thread. You have a lot to say...

Best regards,

CB

I think the VA has 3 lists:

1. The "crap" list. Most of us are on that one. Vets get their claims delayed and denied, usually between 4-8 years. This is the best list the VA has, and you can eventually win your benefits if you are patient enough to wait it out.

2. The Super crap list. These are Veterans who have waited more than 10 years for their benefits, and will likely die before they see a dime. Many of these Vets on the super crap list have their claims "stuck" at the AMC, or have gone ring around the rosie between the BVA and the RO, sometimes for decades.

3. The lowest of the low, where Keith Roberts and the Doctor Woods is at. If you are on this list, not only are your claims delayed/denied permanently, but the Va decides to use all means to retaliate and do its best to put you in jail. Fortunately, most of us are not on this list, but we know that it can happen, and the Va takes a sacrificial Veteran to jail regularly so that they can maintain the status quo, without any fear that the VA employees/executives will be held accountable for their actions.

There's a 4th list...

When a veteran beats the VA, gets a legal education and applies for at the VA in order to give back to veterans what they learned in serving the veteran (rather than serving the VA's interests), the VA denies you employment based on a lie - that you don't have enough education - which is crap according to my trusted inside source at my local Regional Office.

Hence, I've been red flagged by the VA because without an attorney, on my own, I won every NOD and appeal I ever filed. I even fought not one but TWO different regional offices that was ruled in my favor within 3 months of the BVA getting my appeal.

Additionally, there's a 5th list based on the 4th list...the Federal VA communicates with the State VA; because I applied there too and their excuse for not hiring me was that I didn't have enough interview experience. HELLO! I was a Military Police Investigator working at C.I.D. for over half my enlistment, which included interviewing military and civilian suspects, family members, etc. PLUS, as a part of my paralegal degree I was required to take interviewing technique courses and challenged the teacher on her methods based on my experience, the department head agreeing with my assertions over hers.

Anyhow...I'm left to helping veterans online and through word of mouth (based on my assistance to a Vietnam veteran at work).

Keep up the fight - everyone - as persistance will pay off in the end. May take a while, but the truth shall prevail.

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• HadIt.com Elder
There's a 4th list...

When a veteran beats the VA, gets a legal education and applies for at the VA in order to give back to veterans what they learned in serving the veteran (rather than serving the VA's interests), the VA denies you employment based on a lie - that you don't have enough education - which is crap according to my trusted inside source at my local Regional Office.

Hence, I've been red flagged by the VA because without an attorney, on my own, I won every NOD and appeal I ever filed. I even fought not one but TWO different regional offices that was ruled in my favor within 3 months of the BVA getting my appeal.

Additionally, there's a 5th list based on the 4th list...the Federal VA communicates with the State VA; because I applied there too and their excuse for not hiring me was that I didn't have enough interview experience. HELLO! I was a Military Police Investigator working at C.I.D. for over half my enlistment, which included interviewing military and civilian suspects, family members, etc. PLUS, as a part of my paralegal degree I was required to take interviewing technique courses and challenged the teacher on her methods based on my experience, the department head agreeing with my assertions over hers.

Anyhow...I'm left to helping veterans online and through word of mouth (based on my assistance to a Vietnam veteran at work).

Keep up the fight - everyone - as persistance will pay off in the end. May take a while, but the truth shall prevail.

T.S.

And I for one, am most grateful for your experience and assistance, here at Hadit.

Bob

And I for one, am most grateful for your experience and assistance, here at Hadit.

Bob

Thanks Bob...much appreciated to be appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

I really don't think that I could stomach working for the VA. But that's just me and I know the VA has a lot of good people just not enough of them.