VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Professional Poker Affect Va And Ssdi Benefits?

Rate this question

rosypalm

Question

Greetings Vets,

Well I'm a happy man Im 100 percent p and t and I also have SSDI. My question is now that I have been playing poker and don't want my benefits to be affected. Poker is therapy for me and gives me purpose . I read an article that Billy Baxtor professional poker player went to a high court and made Poker "earned income" to IRS. If that is so will the VA and SSA consider playing poker a job? Please help I dont want to quit on my dream of playing poker ,but I dont want to lose the source of income I have which is Va compensation and ssdi benefits.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Commander Bob,

I do try and have a positive attitude, because I can tell you, I've had the other attitude for far too long and it has not been healthy in my treatment. I do know from personal experience that gambling is NOT therapudic. It only causes more problems in the long run. ROSY, may believe it is therapudic because he has found enjoyment in something that occupies his time and he can possibly make money at it. This is all well and good, but don't try and claim TDIU is all. Just stick to getting treatment. If you can do something that has gainful employment, why not do it? if Poker constitues gainful, then just conitue doing it and withdraw IU. Rosy called gambling therapy. Hence I made the correlation fo therapeudic gambling.

I agree... roger that, Marine

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder
Naw im no way addicted like i said earlier i put fifty bucks in on a fifty cent dollar table and moved up limits thats all.

Glad to hear that. Have fun with your hobby.

Good Luck...

I

Not to sound rude how can you claim to be paranoid but not be paranoid to play poker. I don't care what you do with your life or your money but if you can play poker it sounds to me that you are not really sick. Its a shame that thousand of veterans have to battle and struggle with the VA and Social Security to get there benefits and to keep them and here you are risking your benefits. I FOR ONE DO NOT FIND YOUR TOPIC TASTEFUL AND MY HEART GOES OUT TO VETERANS THAT ARE HOMELESS AND LIVING IN POVERTY THAT WISH THEY HAD THE BENEFITS YOU ARE GETTING. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK AND HOPE THAT YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT.

I know you put not to sound rude but you really do sound rude. Sorry windy cindy if you disagree but dont put a story out there "that thousands of Vets story battle and struggle......" I literally was one of them then accusing me of not being really sick!!? wtf kind of person. You are no way a doctor and i will put up my doctors up against you anyday of the week. The sad thing about it is they are VA doctors so good luck with that one. Then you say something about tastefulness of my topic all I asked was a question? if i hadn't the heart I wouldn't have asked to my fellow vets on hadit. How stupid are you? so i guess if i win the powerball i should be ashamed for playing it or any other vet on disabilities?Since by playing it im not really sick at all by your logic.

Edited by rosypalm

if you think that you are going to come on this site and put me down your wrong because your the idiot that came here to this site with your story, and talking about stupid your the one that is risking your benefits. And don't give me that B**S*** story about your time alot of us went through the same s*** and probably worst than you . I hope you get caught and have your benefits revoked, its people like you that make it hard for other veterans to get there benefits. And by the way you idiot playing poker and playing the lotto are to differnt types of gambling, im sorry my dog could have figured that one. Have a nice life

I

I know you put not to sound rude but you really do sound rude. Sorry windy cindy if you disagree but dont put a story out there "that thousands of Vets story battle and struggle......" I literally was one of them then accusing me of not being really sick!!? wtf kind of person. You are no way a doctor and i will put up my doctors up against you anyday of the week. The sad thing about it is they are VA doctors so good luck with that one. Then you say something about tastefulness of my topic all I asked was a question? if i hadn't the heart I wouldn't have asked to my fellow vets on hadit. How stupid are you? so i guess if i win the powerball i should be ashamed for playing it or any other vet on disabilities?Since by playing it im not really sick at all by your logic.

• HadIt.com Elder

TDIU is like a ball and chain around the recipients' neck. Everyone has dreams of being successful or productive in society. Be it a world class poker player or a humble factory worker. Because of the disability and/or family responsibilities, TDIU robs the disabled vet of the dream.

I

I'm no way advocating for everyone to drop ship and enter into poker gambling, stocks,real estate,what have you all im asking is what is considered earned and unearned income? how is that distasteful?