VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension(high Blood Pressure)

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I was diagnosed in service with hypertension. I am currently getting reading of 150-165/90's. I would just be happy with a rating of 0% just in case it gets worse. I am sure it will with age. I have been out for 3.5 years now. Do they even have a 0% for it. I have seen the ratings for it. I did not see a 0% though. Thanks

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

At my last doctor's visit, my BP was 139/98 and stayed there most of the day, despite being on continuous BP meds...

Systolic = First number

Diastolic = Second number

Here's what the numbers mean:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2112

Actually, I have 9 SC'ed ratings and the only one that is 0% is my BP. My worst readings were 160/120 area. The VA knew this, but since I am controlled with norvasc 10mg, cloindine .3 mg bid, and labetalol 400 mg bid my rating is 0%. My sarcoid heart scarring is 30%. I run 120/80 regular now.

Edited by Rich T

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Vet,

Get it service connected and just keep appealing if they deny you. There is a chance the BVA will give you the benefit of the doubt as long as you have 5 or readings in the rating. By the way VA law states that if you don't meet a 10% rating and there is no 0% rating they give you 0%.

I have been sc'd for hypertension since 2002. I think I've appealed like 4 times at the RO. It's headed down to the BVA now. They gave me sc secondary to my back pain based on one of my doctors statements. I was consistently 140-150 / 90s from 1997-2006. In 2006 I went on opiates for my back and the combo of drugs I take has made me mostly in the 120/80 realm. I have been on BP meds since 1997. I have like 5 or 6 readings on different days over */100. I only have a few 160/* readings. However I have been given a BP reader from the VA, have gone in for reading checks over the years, and my meds have been raised many times based on high 90s or over 100 reading. From what I have seen at the BVA I'm hoping to get the benefit of the doubt and get 10%. I also have a bunch of lay statements from my wife about my readings at home.

If you look at BVA cases for 10% they look at your readings, whether you take continous meds, and other factors like chest pains or pains in the eyes. My problem is he first time a doc saw my BP in the 90s I got put on meds. So I can't say I have a history of being over */100. However since my */100 readings have been while on meds and everything else (BP logs, BP machines, etc.) I'm hoping for the resolution of reasonable doubt I have seen them issue in cases like mine.

The biggest thing though like someone said is the service connection. That way if you do die god forbid from a heart attack and you haven't been 100% for 10 or 20 years your dependents may still be able to get DIC.

I am in the same situation with the back pain. I on vicodin and muscle relaxers everyday from now on I guess. I go in and get a shot or two of toradol. I am currently filing for increase for my back. It is in the decision phase as of 2 weeks ago. I was at 10%. my back is more disabling than enything else and they only have me at 10%. Thanks for the info. I am wanting the SC established like you said. 0% would be fine with me right now. Thanks

Hey Vet,

Get it service connected and just keep appealing if they deny you. There is a chance the BVA will give you the benefit of the doubt as long as you have 5 or readings in the rating. By the way VA law states that if you don't meet a 10% rating and there is no 0% rating they give you 0%.

I have been sc'd for hypertension since 2002. I think I've appealed like 4 times at the RO. It's headed down to the BVA now. They gave me sc secondary to my back pain based on one of my doctors statements. I was consistently 140-150 / 90s from 1997-2006. In 2006 I went on opiates for my back and the combo of drugs I take has made me mostly in the 120/80 realm. I have been on BP meds since 1997. I have like 5 or 6 readings on different days over */100. I only have a few 160/* readings. However I have been given a BP reader from the VA, have gone in for reading checks over the years, and my meds have been raised many times based on high 90s or over 100 reading. From what I have seen at the BVA I'm hoping to get the benefit of the doubt and get 10%. I also have a bunch of lay statements from my wife about my readings at home.

If you look at BVA cases for 10% they look at your readings, whether you take continous meds, and other factors like chest pains or pains in the eyes. My problem is he first time a doc saw my BP in the 90s I got put on meds. So I can't say I have a history of being over */100. However since my */100 readings have been while on meds and everything else (BP logs, BP machines, etc.) I'm hoping for the resolution of reasonable doubt I have seen them issue in cases like mine.

The biggest thing though like someone said is the service connection. That way if you do die god forbid from a heart attack and you haven't been 100% for 10 or 20 years your dependents may still be able to get DIC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Vet,

How is your evidence for your back. I think the back is the most frustrating or one of the most to get increases. All my VARO ever cared about was bending. I was awarded 20% out of the gate after my first failed surgery. I guess I should have been happy for that. They then ignored positive straight leg exams and other neurological tests that should have given me at least 10% for each leg after 2002. I have DDD at L3-S1. I just had L3-S1 removed last March. Now I am even worse. I finally got my 20% back down to the BVA and they ignored 3 years of pain center evidence including a ton of nerve blocks and heavy opiates. I was finally diagnosed with nerve entrapement in 2006 from the scar tissue of my first surgery. All along because I was a young guy and could do the walk on toes and heels test they kept saying I had no neurological component. They even had a neurologist examine me twice and on each exam I had positive straight leg exams on each side and she still said I had no neurological component. I had two IMO's done also stating that I couldn't sit, walk, or stand for long periods of time for years based on a neurological component of my L3-S1 discs.

In December 2009 the CAVC finally issued a joint remand for my back. Oh the BVA did add a lower extremity weakness sc given me 10%. At minimal they should have given it to me for both legs. With the pain center evidence I should rate 40% each leg. I had an independent exam done in 2006 and 2009 which showed all my lower extremity muscle groups were unsymmetrical. He also documented muscle wasting and atrophy and tied each group back to my discs L3-S1. I still have the nurse practiners at the VA state I have no neurological component even with all that evidence LOL.

Then they add that stupid bed rest prescribed by a doctor to screw us even further. Who the hell first off can make it to the ER when your back locks off. Second even when I have no doctor at the VA ever issued bed rest. If they only realized how disabling a back can be. Let me know if you want any help with your back case. I feel like I am a VA lawyer now since I have been working my back case for 10 years now.