Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension(high Blood Pressure)

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I was diagnosed in service with hypertension. I am currently getting reading of 150-165/90's. I would just be happy with a rating of 0% just in case it gets worse. I am sure it will with age. I have been out for 3.5 years now. Do they even have a 0% for it. I have seen the ratings for it. I did not see a 0% though. Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder
I was diagnosed in service with hypertension. I am currently getting reading of 150-165/90's. I would just be happy with a rating of 0% just in case it gets worse. I am sure it will with age. I have been out for 3.5 years now. Do they even have a 0% for it. I have seen the ratings for it. I did not see a 0% though. Thanks

Take your last 30 or so readings and average them out in a spreadsheet.

If the average systolic is 160 or higher then it should be 10 percent, Same goes for the Diastolic if it is 100 or higher.

The Keyword here is (predominant).

There is no published zero percent rateing,

J

Well the thing is with your back it greatly effects your work. I was out for 5 weeks from work. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers.The doc I saw didnt want me to lift more than 10 lbs and no stooping, bending, or twisting. Tell me how that wouldnt effect your potential earning s on a job that is physical. It seems they go by ROM or bed rest. I thought the compensation was for loss of income due to a disability incurred in service. I could use all the help possible. I am willing to help anyone also. I also have numbness and tingling in my left thing. Has been that way for 7 years now. I have developed flat feet from service too. My knees buckle on me sometime. I weigh 275lbs now. I cant run because of my legs, back, and feet. I have not filed a claim for my feet yet. Entrance exam shows normal feet. Flat feet showed up about 3 to 4 years later in SMR's. I was also told my leg is maralgia parasthica(SP?) with slight nerve inpingement. My back is shit now. I dont even play with my kids much or do any fun activities and I snap alot because of it. I am going to anger management too. I snap at my wife and kids. I take pain med everyday. I am worried about my liver. They gave me oxycotin and I told them I didnt like that so they game me vicodin. I can work and down those. I dont wanna give up my job that pays outstanding. I am afraid I will go off the handle with the docs at the VA. They just want you to go away. pump you full of drugs. Sorry for the rambling. I gotta get it out somewhere. We need to unite and stay strong. I do appreciate that the VA is there. I am just frustrated with the whole pain and dealing with claims. I want to get involved with a vet club. Does anyone know if the VFW is any good. They are always sending me stuff. The DAV is so far away from where I am. Thanks and excuse the rambling and lack of paragraphs

Hey Vet,

How is your evidence for your back. I think the back is the most frustrating or one of the most to get increases. All my VARO ever cared about was bending. I was awarded 20% out of the gate after my first failed surgery. I guess I should have been happy for that. They then ignored positive straight leg exams and other neurological tests that should have given me at least 10% for each leg after 2002. I have DDD at L3-S1. I just had L3-S1 removed last March. Now I am even worse. I finally got my 20% back down to the BVA and they ignored 3 years of pain center evidence including a ton of nerve blocks and heavy opiates. I was finally diagnosed with nerve entrapement in 2006 from the scar tissue of my first surgery. All along because I was a young guy and could do the walk on toes and heels test they kept saying I had no neurological component. They even had a neurologist examine me twice and on each exam I had positive straight leg exams on each side and she still said I had no neurological component. I had two IMO's done also stating that I couldn't sit, walk, or stand for long periods of time for years based on a neurological component of my L3-S1 discs.

In December 2009 the CAVC finally issued a joint remand for my back. Oh the BVA did add a lower extremity weakness sc given me 10%. At minimal they should have given it to me for both legs. With the pain center evidence I should rate 40% each leg. I had an independent exam done in 2006 and 2009 which showed all my lower extremity muscle groups were unsymmetrical. He also documented muscle wasting and atrophy and tied each group back to my discs L3-S1. I still have the nurse practiners at the VA state I have no neurological component even with all that evidence LOL.

Then they add that stupid bed rest prescribed by a doctor to screw us even further. Who the hell first off can make it to the ER when your back locks off. Second even when I have no doctor at the VA ever issued bed rest. If they only realized how disabling a back can be. Let me know if you want any help with your back case. I feel like I am a VA lawyer now since I have been working my back case for 10 years now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vet

Use the VFW and Hadit to help you with your claims. Your Service Officer will help get you started. It really does not matter which organisation you pick. I prefer someone who has access with VA.

Good Luck

I have a great Service Officer.

I had hypertension in the Service and it was documented in my SMRs, but it was not as bad as when it was years later. I applied for getting it service-connected, and the C&P doctor stated that there was no problem that I develop it during the Service. So when I got my Service-Connection for it, I was given a 0% rating. Due to the fact that I am already at 100% SC P&T, I didn't want to rock the boat by filing a NOD. I can still do so, but is it even worth it? I dunno, but I wanted it SC'ed in case something does happen cardio-vascular related.

Louis

Zero percent because you already have 100 percent????

Apples and oranges!

If it should be service connected, then it should be service connected.

Previous ratings on other conditions have nothing to do with the percentage of disability on your latest win.

It's not bad enough that the jerks already use their own opinions instead of medical evidence to deny claims.

There is no justification for using previous ratings, in their opinions, as an excuse to lowball a new claim.

Nothing in the rules, regs or statutes allow for that crap.

sledge

I have service-connected hypertension at 0%. I think you have to have it above a systolic 140 or a Diastolic of 90 for a higher percentage. Even if you are constantly above 140 or 90, they actually have a C&P for this. They make you come in three days straight for a reading and average out the numbers, but like someone said the VA doctors will throw every medication at your BP in order to control it.