Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Benefits

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am no expert on SMC in fact it is still sort of a mystery but here goes my question. Currently I am 100% plus SMC S Award for which I am grateful. But my question is the fact that for over 1 year on every Tuesday and Thursday the VA pays a Nurse to visit me and also an Aide who helps with keeping my feet in good shape.

I was reading and it said that the VA would consider a higher rating for Veterans who needed more on SMC. Since the VA decided to do this and they keep reauthorizing every 60 days for over 8 times so far would I be entitled to higher SMC and should I ask for it?

Thanks for anyone who has any ideas I plan to talk to my VSO on Tuesday.

Pete

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am no expert on SMC in fact it is still sort of a mystery but here goes my question. Currently I am 100% plus SMC S Award for which I am grateful. But my question is the fact that for over 1 year on every Tuesday and Thursday the VA pays a Nurse to visit me and also an Aide who helps with keeping my feet in good shape.

I was reading and it said that the VA would consider a higher rating for Veterans who needed more on SMC. Since the VA decided to do this and they keep reauthorizing every 60 days for over 8 times so far would I be entitled to higher SMC and should I ask for it?

Thanks for anyone who has any ideas I plan to talk to my VSO on Tuesday.

Pete

Pete

JamesBreckenridge may be able to provide some help.

68mustang

Pete, I believe you are "S" due to "S (2)" which is housebound, rather than "S (1)" that has an addition disability of 60%. In order to have any further SMC you would need to show loss of use, ex. extremety, eyes, ears, or other systemic disabilities that are SC. Are your feet showing disability due to SC?

• HadIt.com Elder

Rich I am service connected 30% for feet and have asked for an adjustment in order to get a grant to fix my bathroom.

Thank you your explanation makes sense.

I think you are thinking about something called "Aid & Attendance". The A&A program is basically part of Special Monthly Compensation. There are lawyers that specialize in A&A claims. Since you require house visits from medical personnel, you may qualify. Just google Aid & Attendance lawyer and you should find what you need.