Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Request

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

I had requested a copy of my c-file way back when I originally initiated my claim and never heard another word about it so I just gathered up my files, to the extent I could from VAMC's/Active duty hospitals/St.Louis and worked from there.

I thought I would give it another shot, getting a copy of my C-file and they sent me a letter saying sure, no problem, send us 180 bucks and it's all yours, since we already sent them to you. See the issue? Who do I go running to on this? Any suggestions.

One more, When I got out in 84 I had some dental work done and a fatty tumor removed from my left hand but never used the VA again till many years later. I called and they were very helpful but could not find them anywhere: lived in New Iberia. La, but as I recall I drove about an hour down the Interstate to probably Alexandria. The tech I talked to checked their storage, called St. Louis but nada. Not a mojor issue but just trying to gather all my records to make a complete picture. So if everybody throws up their hands what can I do.

Last thing, aside from hiring a private Investigator, to locate a friend for a statement, does the VA have any obligation in assisting me locating him. He probably retired in the 90's.

Any help on any of these would be very helpful. Just a shot from the hip would help. No research required.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey CannonCocker,

Check this out:

C-File

- When did you initially request a copy? (what year?)

- Some of the other folks here said that they have requested a copy of everything new since the last time they requested their C-file, but were not charged.

- Maybe ask for proof of when they claim it was sent.

- You might consider asking to review your file in person, to verify everything.

- If they still are jerks about it, contact your VSO, explain what is going on and ask for help.

Additional info about the C-File:

- I received my C-File a couple of months ago. It was just left by my front door in a big box. There was no tracking information or signature required. I'm glad I got home from work early that day. I'm (sarcastically) glad they did everything possible to protect my personal information.

- When you get it, go through it page by page. Be on the lookout for records belonging to someone else. I had a copy of someone else's claim in my C-File. Privacy violation...

- Also, look on the back of each page in the C-file. Sometimes notes are placed there too.

Treatment Records

- Go to the VAMC Release of Information office and request a copy of your records (some sites can provide it on CD)

- Old medical treatment records (VA or military) are probably archived to Missouri. They did that to my records which were older than 2002. I had to wait for them to get them before they would give me my copies.

- All of my treatment records were copied and included in my C-File. However, the C-File had a lot more records than the copy I got from the VAMC.

Finding an old friend

If the friend was in the military, you might try a couple of options:

- Try looking them up at military.com, facebook, myspace, or maybe a paid people search service (some charge $50 to do this)

- The VA will not give you your friend's contact information, but they can attempt to relay a letter to them. Give the VA a sealed, stamped envelope containing whatever personal letter you want your old friend to receive. Put that envelope inside a larger envelope to the VA along with instructions requesting that they try to locate and forward the envelope to your friend. If your friend is registered in the VA system (medical or otherwise), they are can forward your envelope to your friend's most recent address of record. There is no guarantee of a response. The VA has information about this on their web site. I looked it up several months ago, but don't have the URL/site address handy. Should be easy to find.

I hope this helps (IMHO) and wish you good luck.

Well Vync at our service again!. I first asked for my c-file in 2008 due to seeing here, on this forum the sense it made to have a battle plan if you both havee the same info, as in discovery in a legal proceeding. The VA no more sent those c-files to me than I can out run a six pack crate engine. Thing is the VA holds me in such disdain I have to figure wether it is worth the confrontation, because it would be like me saying:

1. you are incompetent (best spin)

2. you are a liar (true but diplomatic?)

My main thrust is getting my backpay from a DRO Granted claim, but once that deal is done!!!! I might do a go between like my DAV rep.

I would gladly pay 50 bucks rather than ask the VA whst time it was when it comes to finding J. D. Spivey (if you are out there) of Houston, Tx..

The lost records, from La: the clerk called St Louyis and ask and they said what records, who me?....I think I'll submit a NA Form 13042/email etc to chase them down. Not that big a deal but they did remove a fatty tumor from my left hand and I would like to know more about that. At the time, you know, at that age, you are alive and out and what more could you ask. So I didn't ask what/why etc, just may I leave now?

Thanks Vync.

• HadIt.com Elder

Go to your congressman and use him to get your C-File. There could be evidence in there that could mean a lot of money for you. I used my C-File to launch a CUE claim going all the way back to my original rating. I never new how the VA had ignored and excluded key evidence until I got the file.

Thanks John nfor the reply. I have reached the point of diminishing returns at this point with our Senator in NC since he is in an all out for his seat so my c-file is way back on his priority list and the guy he has asiggned to handle VA affairs for him knows his job has a limited lifespan in all likihood, but all he ever did anyway was send you a letter when the VA reached a decision which got to the house about the same time the VA's did.

1. Get backpay (retaliation in back of head)

2. Go through DAV which I will fax this am that I never received a c-file, that if they said they sent it they just checked the box done, or got lost.

3. Go through Senator Burr and hope they might actually do something than tell me what the VA is already going to tell me. I really don't understand how that is suppose to be of service to a vet. Gives someone a job which is good but no actual action on behalf of the vet has ever been taken, at least for me, by burr's office.

I have 2 house's, one in Florida so might go through a senator there. But this is forward planning so not time sensitive.

Thank you again.