Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can They Bill Ins?

Rate this question

SLEDGE

Question

I found out that the VA was billing the ins in 1990.

The ins company used the lack of a VA diagnosis to stop paying.

Insurance claimed I owed them over 3000 from their overpayments to my shrink.

They not only can, they will.

sledge

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I found out that the VA was billing the ins in 1990.

The ins company used the lack of a VA diagnosis to stop paying.

Insurance claimed I owed them over 3000 from their overpayments to my shrink.

They not only can, they will.

sledge

Ahhh, just tell the insurance company that, due to their sloppy "book-keeping department" that they can now pound sand.

Heck, I took out the "supplemental life insurance" offered by the VA, when I found that I qualified for the "freeby" $10K life insurance. I took out the supplemental (extra) $20K that you have to pay for (mine was, like, $120 extra per month, and they were supposed to be deducting this $120 each month from my VA Direct Deposited comp check, monthly, ever since 2008. I get a dunn from them just a couple days ago, telling me that if I want to have my supplemental life insurance "re-instated" that I have to send them a $2,800 chck by the end of July.......................for my 21 months of "arrears". Seems that they "forgot" to deduct the $120 from my monthly deposits...........ahh, shucks, bucko, but ain't that a cryin' shame.........but, seein' as how YOU NEVER DID CANCEL THE INSURANCE.........how's about you can start deductin' the $120, STARTING NEXT MONTH?

"oh, welllll, geee, oh, okay Mr.LarryJ...........whatever you say............"

SCHMUCKS!

seems that, wit de VA, it's always sumpthin' ain't it?

This is one of the best ones I have ever heard of.

" I get a dunn from them just a couple days ago, telling me that if I want to have my supplemental life insurance "re-instated" that I have to send them a $2,800 chck by the end of July.......................for my 21 months of "arrears". "

Good Lord, I see a management position in somebodies future.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

This is one of the best ones I have ever heard of.

" I get a dunn from them just a couple days ago, telling me that if I want to have my supplemental life insurance "re-instated" that I have to send them a $2,800 chck by the end of July.......................for my 21 months of "arrears". "

Good Lord, I see a management position in somebodies future.

sledge

Yeah, provided I don't get REALLY pissed and drop a dime on somebody! :rolleyes:

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Sledge,

The VA has been charging my private insurance for a couple of years for both SC and NSC conditions. The insurance never asked me to pay them anything. I did some digging and the VA claims they have not charged any SC treatments to my insurance. I get my statement of benefits from insurance and the dates of service identically match the dates the VA gives my monthly injections for a SC condition. When I get my next shot, I am taking about six months worth of statement of benefits documents with me to the VAMC's Business Office.

Will VA bill my health insurance carrier ?

The law requires VA to bill insurance carriers for covered veterans.

Some veterans may have health insurance coverage under a spouse's policy.

If you are receiving care for a non-service-connected disability and have health insurance, your insurance carrier will be billed.

VA does not bill your health insurance carrier for VA-adjudicated service-connected disabilities.

(An adjudicated service-connected disability is one for which you have filed a claim and VA has determined that you are service-connected)

https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=pOybV*7j&p_lva=&p_faqid=40&p_created=1033509197&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQ0JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9aW5zdXJhbmNlJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9NiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Back in 1994 when the insurance company went hostile on me I asked why?

The person on the phone said that a VA shrink had told the insurance adjuster that all of my problems were mental.

The VA shrink told the ins folks that I was a drug seeker and didn't have any physical medical conditions.

The VA shrink was the same guy that refused to even discuss the pain clinic.

The same guy that refused to refer me to a general practitioner for a medical examination and proper diagnosis.

Mental and physical claims have two different, private sector co-pay rates.

My co-pays had been based upon the lower patient rate of 20 percent for physical medical conditions.

Mental had a patient co-pay of 80 percent.

Therefore, I was guilty of fraud.

Therefore, I owed the insurance company over 3000 bucks based upon over-payments to the private sector doctors.

And by-the-way, your insurance is canceled.

Based upon the VA shrink's remarks, the ins company also hit me up for all of my private sector medical doctor's co-payments that the ins had paid.

I tried to find out what the problem with the shrink was.

The VA declined to comment and would not allow me to talk to the guy.

All I could rationally figure out was that the VA shrink had me mixed up with somebody else.

That's been a problem between me and the VA since the mid-80s.

Why else would a shrink attack me after one 5 minute meeting.

I believe the VA is billing my ins now because they made a big deal out of me letting them copy the current ins card.

sledge