VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bumped From 80% To 90%! :d

Rate this topic

Back in September 2009, I CUEd my initial Nov 2006 10% rating for asthma because I am prescribed Advair and it was a matter of record when they assigned the rating. I maintained that I should have gotten 30%. I also claimed an increase to my 10% rating for migraines, because they increased in number after VA took me off Imitrex (I'm on other SSRI meds and they don't want me dying, and I kinda like not dying so I'm down with that).

The big envelope arrived today. My case got pulled by the Tiger Team in Cleveland, OH and rated.

Asthma: Increased from 10% to 30%, effective Sep 2009. They didn't address the CUE issue, so I'll reengage. It would result in a couple of years of 80% overall rating vs my initial 70%, so I want that fixed.

Migraines: Increased from 10% to 50%, effective Sep 2009. :: happy headache dance ::

Overall, I got bumped from 80% to 90%. I checked the eBenefits site and my retro pay is due to post on Monday.

I think the keys are:

1. Patience. All those "hurry up and wait" lines we stood in during our active duty days helped prepare us for this experience.

2. Politeness no matter what. Yes, there will be idiots and lazy folks standing in your path as you seek what you have rightfully earned. Don't give them reasons to shaft you.

3. Make your claim idiot proof: Raise each issue in turn, support it appropriately (i.e., reference the record or appropriate cases/law/regulations), and don't make it personal. Tales of woe don't get rated, conditions do.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Oh, and I'm taking a nice trip to Maine with my back pay. :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in September 2009, I CUEd my initial Nov 2006 10% rating for asthma because I am prescribed Advair and it was a matter of record when they assigned the rating. I maintained that I should have gotten 30%. I also claimed an increase to my 10% rating for migraines, because they increased in number after VA took me off Imitrex (I'm on other SSRI meds and they don't want me dying, and I kinda like not dying so I'm down with that).

The big envelope arrived today. My case got pulled by the Tiger Team in Cleveland, OH and rated.

Asthma: Increased from 10% to 30%, effective Sep 2009. They didn't address the CUE issue, so I'll reengage. It would result in a couple of years of 80% overall rating vs my initial 70%, so I want that fixed.

Migraines: Increased from 10% to 50%, effective Sep 2009. :: happy headache dance ::

Overall, I got bumped from 80% to 90%. I checked the eBenefits site and my retro pay is due to post on Monday.

I think the keys are:

1. Patience. All those "hurry up and wait" lines we stood in during our active duty days helped prepare us for this experience.

2. Politeness no matter what. Yes, there will be idiots and lazy folks standing in your path as you seek what you have rightfully earned. Don't give them reasons to shaft you.

3. Make your claim idiot proof: Raise each issue in turn, support it appropriately (i.e., reference the record or appropriate cases/law/regulations), and don't make it personal. Tales of woe don't get rated, conditions do.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Oh, and I'm taking a nice trip to Maine with my back pay. :)

You are so right on your 3 keys. Congrats

Bergie

Way to go! I like your advice, too.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use