Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Video Conference/hearings

Rate this question

Tomahawk

Question

What exactly takes place with a video conference or a hearing? Ive seen the option before but never understood what the purpose was. When is a good time to recommend one of these?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Well they are quicker than having to wait for a BVA law judge to come around to your RO and is the main reason for them. I live close to Washington so going to the BVA for a hearing does not cost me much but others it would. The video conference usually gives you the best of both worlds low cost and you do get to plead your case some what in person.

There are also the hearings that are set up at the ROs for these traveling judges but as you can imagine they are pretty booked up. There the vet will get to plead directly to the judge their case.

What exactly takes place with a video conference or a hearing? Ive seen the option before but never understood what the purpose was. When is a good time to recommend one of these?

I recommend a hearing to everyone that I help who have filed NOD's. The DRO hearing in my opening lends credibility to the claimed conditions by putting a face to the claim. It allows you to argue your claim, and ensure that they have all your submitted evidence. I have been through 2 myself the most recent 2 weeks ago. I believe it's in the claiment's best interest to opt for the hearing. The way you go about getting the hearing is to request it when you file the NOD.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are going to have a hearing have it in person. That is the only real reason for having a hearing is to meet face to face with a judge or DRO. I had a hearing with a traveling BVA judge 6 months ago. I think my lawyer got the points across better in person. How long I have to wait for a decision I don't know.

Okay thanks. I wasnt sure if this was something to request prior to getting my rating or denial. So as I understand it now that if I get denied or dont agree with their rating I can and should request the hearing.

Thanks again all =)

• HadIt.com Elder

With a hearing you can have witnesses speak for you. You can have a VSO or lawyer. With a DRO hearing I would always do it face to face. You have less chance of dumb mistakes by VA raters if they get the facts straight at a hearing where you can correct them before it is cut into stone. If you are going to do a BVA trip you might as well do a hearing because you have to wait years anyway.

A DRO Hearing is held at your local VARO in person.

A video conference hearing would be a hearing at the BVA level where the claimant is physically at

their VARO and sees and speaks with the BVA judge via the video conference.

carlie