VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

ejw4856

Question

Good morning all.Im new here to posting but have read alot of posts here,which offers good answers.I have just received my award for ptsd at 30%.One of the reasons i think i was lowballed was thw dr gave me a gaf score of 32.i know the raters dont go by this number but includes it with their decision.Some of what he said was right but it goes far more with depression and panic attacks and sometimes just get so depressed that i dont go anywhere and dont accosiate with friends and family.Do u think that i should be rated at 50-70%.I also have asthma and copd and after last pft test that 2-3 years left if that.so what i would like to do is get a higher rating so i may get iu.i hope im saying this right but im not sure.thanks for any answers.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My vso is doing a nod and now that i have found out what the Dr. put intto his report i know it will be 100%.but have to wait for the system to work.

Im sure the rater didnt have that report or he would have given me 100% ptsd and be compensated as such.

ejw,

What did you find out the Dr. put into his report ?

What is it that makes you feel the results of your NOD will be 100 % for PTSD ?

By not filing for IU now you are certainly risking the loss of an earlier effective date.

ejw,

What did you find out the Dr. put into his report ?

What is it that makes you feel the results of your NOD will be 100 % for PTSD ?

By not filing for IU now you are certainly risking the loss of an earlier effective date.

The lady at the Dr. office said that the va should rate me 100% based what the Dr.wrote.also something about axis or something like that.so your saying that i should file an iu instead of a nod?

Thank you Carlie:Here is the story.I filed for ptsd,severe asthma,copd hearing loss,tennitus sinnius,scrapnal in chest are and multiple lung noduals.They dieied all but the ptsd and gave me 30%.

Someone else on this forum said i should try to get ahold of the psy Dr.and i did just a little ago and the first thing she said was she couldnt give out info and

when i told her the va gave me a 30% for ptsd she told me that i was 100% not employable and my score was severe.those were her exact words.she also said i should file a nod because i should be rated 100% by the va just according to the ptsd.

I hope i explained it right.I havnt heard of reconsider of rating but will ask my vso when we get my c file and a copy of the report for ptsd.

ejw,

The doctor whether at VAMC or QTC has absolutely nothing to do with nor any authority in adjudicating the percentage level of disability.

It would be good if you could post the Reasons and Bases Section from your Rating Decision.

In my opinion you might need to prepare for a slow and bumpy ride.

ejw,

The doctor whether at VAMC or QTC has absolutely nothing to do with nor any authority in adjudicating the percentage level of disability.

It would be good if you could post the Reasons and Bases Section from your Rating Decision.

In my opinion you might need to prepare for a slow and bumpy ride.

I will have to stop here as im upset right now and cant think but i will post the findings tomorrow.many thanks for today and may God Bless you all.Ed

ejw,

You are not alone in this.

The more info you can provide the more everyone will try to help.

Many times C&P examiner's tell us things that they don't follow up on

or don't actually write their report the way they try to make us think they do.

It will help you - help your vso, fight the VA machine if you can learn what is really needed

to get claims granted or increased with medical evidence.

Ed, everything I've posted here for you is to help you prepare, many,many times

getting VA claims granted are in a small way like going into battle.

Even tho you have a service officer - the bottom line will depend on you doing all you can.

No one will ever know your claim better than you.

You should be filing the NOD stating you feel due to the medical evidence you should be

evaluated/increased to a higher percentage level (and gather your medical evidence to back it up)

fill out and submit a form 21-8940 as LarryJ posted.

You need a copy of the C&P exam results to see what the doctor ACTUALLY put in writing.

There is a whole lot of work that goes into this and you'r at a beginning point.

You have 30 % SC and it's a start.

Are you going to NOD the denial of pulmonary disabilities ?

The Reasons and Bases from your Rating Decision is what you study to find out

what the VA says is lacking in your claim issues and why they denied and why

they rated at whatever percentage.

ejw,

You are not alone in this.

The more info you can provide the more everyone will try to help.

Many times C&P examiner's tell us things that they don't follow up on

or don't actually write their report the way they try to make us think they do.

It will help you - help your vso, fight the VA machine if you can learn what is really needed

to get claims granted or increased with medical evidence.

Ed, everything I've posted here for you is to help you prepare, many,many times

getting VA claims granted are in a small way like going into battle.

Even tho you have a service officer - the bottom line will depend on you doing all you can.

No one will ever know your claim better than you.

You should be filing the NOD stating you feel due to the medical evidence you should be

evaluated/increased to a higher percentage level (and gather your medical evidence to back it up)

fill out and submit a form 21-8940 as LarryJ posted.

You need a copy of the C&P exam results to see what the doctor ACTUALLY put in writing.

There is a whole lot of work that goes into this and you'r at a beginning point.

You have 30 % SC and it's a start.

Are you going to NOD the denial of pulmonary disabilities ?

The Reasons and Bases from your Rating Decision is what you study to find out

what the VA says is lacking in your claim issues and why they denied and why

they rated at whatever percentage.

Good morning to all.The sun is shinning here and it is going to be a good day.

I was up at 2am this morning and i thought about what is happening to me so i thought id put every thing down her(will be lenghty)hope the moderator doesnt mind but here it is:

3/11/2010 filed claim for ptsd,shrapnel left chest,diverticulitious,gerd,copd,asthma,lung nodules sleep apnea,sinusitis,hypertension,hearing loss,tinnitus....

Evidence:service records,newspaper artical of tradgety of losing my family in a fierce fire back home,letter from commander from camp drum new york,letter from senator treatments fro okc va ss disability report from ok.treatment from Intrigis hospital...

REASON for Decisiion:

Service connection for PTSD directly related to service C&P examconfirms i suffer from PTSD.We have no evidence that indicates I was envolved in combat during service.however when reasonable doubt regarding service origin such doubt is in favor of the veteran.We evaluate you at 30% and is granted wherever there is occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermiyyment periodsof inability to preform occ.tasks.(altho generally functioning satisfactorily with routine behavior self care and conversation normal)due to such symptoms depressed moods anixity suspiciousness panic attacks(weekly or less often)chronic sleep impairment mild memory loss.the dr. found your affect and mood indicate a disturbance of motivation and depressed mood.i have recurrent recollection of th traumatic event with recurrent distressing dreams . i avoid thoughts feelings or conversations associated event and markedly diminished participation in activities.based on these symtoms i am shown entitled to the 30%.A higher evaluation is not warrented unless there is reduced reliability and productivity due to flattened affect,circumstantail,circumlocutory or setertyped speech,panic attacks more tham once a week,difficulity in complex commands.The examinator calculated your GAF to be 32,which indicates a serious mental disorter that is inconsistant with the symtoms he reported from the examination.The Dr.found no flattened affect speech problems panic attacks difficulty understanding memory problems or impairment of thinking or judgement.therefore 50% is not warrented.

Shrapnel- records show no treatment or complaints.-denied

Diverticulitious-not service connected-denied

Gerd-no treatment or complaints-denied

COPD-no treatments-denied

asthma-no treatment or diagnosis-denied

lung nodules-no treatment or diagnosis-denied

Sinusitius-no treatment or diagnosis-denied

Hypertension-no treatment of diagnosis-denied

Hearing loss-no treatment -denied

Tinnitus- no complaints or treatment-denied

There it is in a nut sheel so to speak.

I do have 2 letters from family and friend about the shrapnal,and i can verify my reasion for hearing loss and tennitius as i was a truck driver while in NAM.

Now I may add also I did NOT have a discharge Psyicial at all.

End of why i asked for help,thankyou so much for the answers and the patience of this long letter.