Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Monthly Compensation Question

Rate this question

Cruinthe

Question

I am currently SMC Housebound. I got there by being 100% PTSD plus 60% CFS.

Now, here is my question, lets say I am diagnosed with another group of disabilities that stack up to another 60%, should I file for, for lack of a better designation, "SMC-S2"?

I have seen reference to the SMC-R being awarded more than once, or SMC-R2, so my question would be can all SMC letters be awarded more than once?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: or would I simply go up to the next higher letter, perhaps L?

Edited by Cruinthe

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

"so my question would be can all SMC letters be awarded more than once?"

Only the "K" award can be awarded more then once.

You have the "S" award which cannot be built on for higher levels.There is no "s"-2 award.

SMC is one of the most confusing benefits the VA awards. The VBM devotes page after page to the various combos of SMC and the evidence that is required for them.

We have a lot of info here as well:

with more available under the search feature.

http://www.hadit.com/va_special_monthly_compensation.html

It pays to go over the SMC regs carefully in 38 USC 1114 and see how your medical evidence and documented disabilities fits into the criteria for additional SMC benefits.

Most SMC at higher ratings hinge on "loss of use of" or "Loss of"

The VA considers these disabilities as the same thing in this regard----

if a SC disability causes you to loose normal use of your foot, that loss of use would be comparable to an amputation of the foot.

Edited by Berta

Thank you for the excellent reply Berta, that clarifies the issue. I will research the 1114 Regs this week.

I should be diagnosed with diabetes this month. I have raging peripheral neuropathy that causes me incredible pain in my feet every morning, and that general sunburn feeling in my lower arms and lower legs all day. I literally hobble around like a 90 year old man every morning till about noon when my circulation picks up.

It is getting worse with time and if it keeps up, I will file for SMC due to "loss of use" of my feet. I assume it will only be a few years before I will be looking at amputation, so I might as well get my ducks in a row,

• HadIt.com Elder

You should talk to your Doc about taking gabapentin. It really helps the pain that you are describing

For about the last 6 months I have been having the foot pain, as I said, but also my toes always feel like someone is bashing them with a rubber mallet. My toes are bruised from always smashing into walls, the refrigerator, the toilet or tub, you name it, my toes have slammed into it. I dont feel like I have complete control of my feet anymore. Plus, I have noticed I am making A LOT more mistakes when I type on the computer. I used to be quick and accurate, now I spend more time on the backspace key than anything else. Well, I been asking for a endocrine consult for a year+ now, and the VA is getting me in to see him tomorrow. If I am diagnosed with diabetes, the VA will be liable for all damages I have taken in the last year.

Berta is correct in saying that the "K" award can be added a multiple number of times; infact it can be added to any rating 0% to "N" up to three times. There is no such SMC as "S2". "L" is not a progression, but is used for loss of use and regular A&A. "L" thru "N" have special ways of being added to by either the additional "K's" and/or by "P(3)" or "P(4)", but never both "P(3)" and "P(4)". There is also a provision for triple loss of use using "P(5)". There are some situations when a veteran can have two "L" awards, but that then becomes "R1". I got my "R1" by having an "O(2)" plus a seperate need for A&A.

For about the last 6 months I have been having the foot pain, as I said, but also my toes always feel like someone is bashing them with a rubber mallet. My toes are bruised from always smashing into walls, the refrigerator, the toilet or tub, you name it, my toes have slammed into it. I dont feel like I have complete control of my feet anymore. Plus, I have noticed I am making A LOT more mistakes when I type on the computer. I used to be quick and accurate, now I spend more time on the backspace key than anything else. Well, I been asking for a endocrine consult for a year+ now, and the VA is getting me in to see him tomorrow. If I am diagnosed with diabetes, the VA will be liable for all damages I have taken in the last year.

Hey Crunithe, so sorry about your pain. My e4766 has that too but he couldn't take gabapentin he was taking a total of 1800 mg a day and couldn't function at all. Finally he was seen at Lex VA by a neurologist and believe it or not the Dr. gave him Lyrica which works great. This is a drug that is usually not approved but this young Dr. went to bat for e. Maybe your VA will do that for you. Hope so. Good Luck

Carolyn