Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed But Not Too Confident Now...

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

yesterday, i filled out my ppwk online and mailed it in for SSDI. i simply scanned and printed my award letter from the VA. i am rated 70% for one condition, ptsd. my GAF is 50 (im still floored by that one!). i thought this would be sufficient since the only thing i really get from the va is therapy (torture in some cases) for the ptsd. the lady on the phone w/ the SSA said they could get my records from the VA. so, i come back here and start reading all these posts on SSDI and how folks have been declined over and over....now, im wondering - did i just shoot myself in the ass? should i have got the records from the VA and sent in? oh, and any idea what the "typical" time line is to get a decision?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Social Security is much faster than VA I would guess 4 months to a year.

You must have a Doctor's opinion that states you are unemployable for more than a year or you will be denied. Uusually the SS Doc exam will address that issue but would not hurt to get it from your VA Doc and would also help you get 100%.

Good Luck

Social Security is much faster than VA I would guess 4 months to a year.

You must have a Doctor's opinion that states you are unemployable for more than a year or you will be denied. Uusually the SS Doc exam will address that issue but would not hurt to get it from your VA Doc and would also help you get 100%.

Good Luck

thank you, pete!! i have my first appt here @ the hampton va on monday. hopefully my pcm can write that letter. i have no idea how long it will take to get into mental health here. i heard back log for new appts was like 3 months. maybe i can contact my old dr in mphs to see if can get her to write it. hmmm, something to think about. thanks again!! :)

• HadIt.com Elder

Something you might want to remember, SSD is concerned if you can work ANY type of job. If they can find any category or be close to what you have been doing, they will deny.

You might go through the O*Net job listings and look at your job(s) description. This way you can be ready to mention what you can or cannot do anymore.

Look at the pinned topic above on Getting Started. It has links you can explore.

I wish you the best.

fanaticbooks

Something you might want to remember, SSD is concerned if you can work ANY type of job. If they can find any category or be close to what you have been doing, they will deny.

You might go through the O*Net job listings and look at your job(s) description. This way you can be ready to mention what you can or cannot do anymore.

Look at the pinned topic above on Getting Started. It has links you can explore.

I wish you the best.

fanaticbooks

thanks!! i checked it out. closest description they have to my job, transportation planner, was transp. mgr. my job was too high stress esp in this economy. then again, what job isnt?! lol. im looking at what else i could possibly do based on descriptions on O*Net. and i also was told i couldnt go back to work yet by my therapist in memphis. as luck would have it, she was an intern and left. but, i have contacted her old super to ask if i can have a letter written for me. i also have a letter from voc rehab dropping me from the program cuz i could not work according to the doctor. completely forgot about it till after i posted the OP. so....i am hoping that will work in my favor as well. i also have the goofy skills eval or whatever its called from voc rehab.