Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mmpi

Rate this question

RSG

Question

I have taken two of these MMPI tests... In both case given By a C&P examiner....I scored so far out of the "NORM" that niether could be rated.....Should those be included

in any correspondence with reference to My claim for IU....

Tnx

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

These tests from what I understand of them, are only useful if the shrink feels the participates have complied and done there best to answer and show a pattern. If they feel they are worthless and not completed properly they will be thrown out.

Now that being said I am not implying you did not do your best but sounds like given you the tests shows no benefit to an analysis.

I would ask for a written letter from the shrink as to why they are not being used.

Edited by stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

The MMPI has a scale that is supposed to show if a test taker is exaggerating their symptoms. The way I think it works with the VA is that if they don't like the results of your MMPI they say you are exaggerating your symptoms. The VA prefers the 15 minute exam by a QTC doctor. The MMPI must be interpreted by trained psychologist. That is too expensive and might show the vet has a compensable condition. The MMPI is a good test. I believe the VA does not use it because of cost. Cost drives everything the VA does. If you took a MMPI given by the VA it should be used as evidence unless the VA can show that the vet did knowingly exaggerate their symptoms. That is why they ask the same question ten times to see if answers are consistent. Back in the day the VA gave me the Ink Blot test. The raters just ignored the result.

I guess that answers the question or quote "NORM" that the VA uses, if the answers given are not what the VA wants them to be, they are just rejected.... It seems that with documented evidence of GAF scores of 40 or below consistently, for years

and all that goes with documented years of evidence, that the VA would have to use that testing for reference when deciding claims.....Especially if it was a valid (ACTUAL) test...But , I guess that is why the VA shrink Rated it out of the "NORM"....cause it was not valid in her eyes.....

Edited by RSG

• HadIt.com Elder

RSG

Remember who is doing the actual rating on your claim: A person with no medical or legal training. They don't know how to evaluate your MMPI results. They don't know how to evaluate the psychologist's summary of the results.

Having taken my share of MMPI and other similiar type psychological tests, I have found that embedded in the tests are questions that help the scorer to determine if the person is being truefull and/or deceptive in the way the questions are being answered .

Being so outside the norms opinion may be their way of saying that they had problems with the way you answered your questions, that being so outside the normal way to score, they could not correlate the test scores to your given symtomology. I would ask for a retest and if possible, from a different examiner. If you cannot get a viable score or if you do not receive the same results, then I would look else where for evidence that can be scored and where a valid opinion can be given..

These tests, such as the MMPI, have been tweeked over the years and having survived the test of times, they are a good tool for determining what type of psychological probems one might have, however they are not the sole determining factor that would be used to give an opinion and/or diagnosis. To give an example, not only did I take the MMPI, I had other such tests and periods of observation that determined their opinion and diagnosis, none of which has change except in severity of my symptomology.

Keep after your Psychologist or Psychiatrist for a definite opinion that would also include a supported diagnosis of your problem. If they do not help you in this, you have but one choice, but to seek an IMO

elsewhere, more than likely outside the VA system and into the private sector.

Good Luck, and I do mean it, getting a definite and supported psychological opinion I have found, is considerably more difficult than most medical problems, that the VA will accept for rating purposes.

Rockhound Rider :cool:

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?