Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Ima Finds New Service Related Disabilitys

Rate this question

afret

Question

I am working on an appeal presently.

I submitted an IMA that found numerous disabilities that were unknown to me and all are related to my service connected disability.

It is my understanding that when the VA receives medical information that indicates or shows additional medical conditions that may be service related that they are required to then open a claim on those items and notify the claimant (me) that they have done so.

I need to know what regulation in the VA claims process states this.

Thanks,

Art

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Yes, you are right,,, but,..

I understand the origninal intent of the question,, I am tring to clarify what I think is meant..

if you have a problem with your arm... but there are also problem with the hand on that arm, do all the problems connect together autmatically on that arm, or must you absolutely list every problem on that arm and hand?

This was an example..

I understand because I have problem to that are all interconnected.. you can't have one without the other... and there is no way for a Veteran know how to list hese problems and under what category many problems come under... so, if you say the never are damage din an arm, or dhould, will that cover the problems in the hand too? or must they be listed..

another example.. if you have problems with your stomach, must you also list the intestines too, or will the VA figure out they all go together and do it for you?

I hope I have been clear..

These are some examples,, my case is a mess, and trying ot do the many issues and connected issues makes it a mess to list.. not being a doctor, and trying ot make it clear do the VA can understand the health issues.. well, it is so very hard to type compicated issues out an dhave these one way communications once every six months makes it almost impossible to file claims for complicated health issues..

it's hard to tell if one part made the other part sicker, or vice versa.. and the VA wil pounce on, or not even help, or give a rating, or deny it if we don't write down the events and health issues that fit's their books..

if they look in their books and whatever you wrote cannot be found it will be denied, or not even looked into..

you would think you could just put the chemicals ' more than likely' caused intestinal disese.

but the medical term might not be intestinal disease, it maybe listed in some VA book as Ulcerative colitis. Then if the above sentence is not worded perfectly to match the VA book, it wil be denied..

the problem is if a doctor did not write it the same, or the claim was not speific enough and only made a broad statement of disease..

---

Is this what this thread was that if the condition was not specifc enough, wil the VA connect the dots, or just deny the claim?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you need to list every problem you have in detail along with medical documentation that DX'ed these problems and relates them either directly or secondarily to your military service. Maybe the VA will lump them together, but you want that VCAA letter you get to list each and every disability. If you have trouble with your knee and hip and foot you need to list each problem and claim them all. The VA is only going to consider what you claim.

I am working on an appeal presently.

I submitted an IMA that found numerous disabilities that were unknown to me and all are related to my service connected disability.

It is my understanding that when the VA receives medical information that indicates or shows additional medical conditions that may be service related that they are required to then open a claim on those items and notify the claimant (me) that they have done so.

I need to know what regulation in the VA claims process states this.

Thanks,

Art

Can you be a little more clearer? Keep in mind that no one knows you here but we would need more information and it could help other veterans. What claim did you file and what conditions do you have on appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

you pretty much have to claim each issue if you have Diabetes and heart problems and file for DMII and don't mention the cardiac problems secondary to DMII then the VA is not normally going to automatically do it for you you have to make the claim and the effective date will be the date you file the claim they will not back date the new claims to your original claim date they are supposed to do a lot of things but pretty much unless you put it in writing and specifically ask for it they will ignore everything else

• HadIt.com Elder

For secondary problems you usually have to have medical documentation that makes the connection between the primary and secondary condition. As TestVet said about DMII if you have a heart condition as well you have to have medical documentation to say that the DMII caused the heart condition in so many words. Only for presumptive conditions is this not the case.